shell growth

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
Hi, please can somebody tell me if the shell growth on my little Hermanns is ok? s/he's 2 years old now and i got him/her a year ago.
the store where i got him/her kept them on paper pellets, tortoise table with just a heat lamp, his/her shell was dry and after taking advice from the lovely members here i've changed everything to keep my tort happy and healthy, i just hope i'm doing enough?

Attachments

• IMG_4292(Edited).jpg
    IMG_4292(Edited).jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4292.jpg
    IMG_4292.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think the shell growth looks great! I've read somewhere that those squiggles appear due to unknown reasons, but s/he looks good! (Hopefuly other members can chime in soon)
Hello Karen - if you are referring to the pattern changing over time,the same thing happened with Zola. This is a photo of him now, and the 2 small tortoises are in fact Zola aged 2 and Zola aged 3 (my husband is clever with his computer)
Angie
growing-up_sm.jpg

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
Hello Karen - if you are referring to the pattern changing over time,the same thing happened with Zola. This is a photo of him now, and the 2 small tortoises are in fact Zola aged 2 and Zola aged 3 (my husband is clever with his computer)
Angie
View attachment 339855
I think Zola is a beautiful colour Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thankyou for your replies, i was a little concerned about pyramidding since s/he didn't have the best start, but hopefully now i've managed to correct this
Zola had a bit of pyramiding when we got him,due to the fact that the edge of the shell just above his head was split - we were told he had probably been trodden on - you can't see it very much, but in the large photo of him, the split has gone right to the little bump on the top - I think the pyramiding resulted from this, and there is nothing we could do about it - we were more concerned with internal damage - and, as you can see, his shell has become pretty smooth otherwise.
As Pebbles grows, her shell will probably even out still more-as you say, it is pretty much corrected anyway. She is lovely !
Angie