Shell health issue

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hi everyone!!
Ive got a friend who is a veterinarian. She got a case in which a tortoise had a shell issue.
The tortoise was brought to her because it was bitted by a dog, but my friend also noticed the shell problem, and asked the owner more information to see what was going on...
The owner said it was given to him this way 4 years ago.
My friend called me to see if i had ever seen something like this. (Which I havent)
So I decided to post it and see if we could get some advice from experts, and find out what could be the cause, and help the little fella...

C50372D1-9175-4371-88A2-467D131BF1A2.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D851D73-9E79-4FCD-82AF-B21B5F02DB35.jpeg
    2D851D73-9E79-4FCD-82AF-B21B5F02DB35.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what the new shell looks like after a bad injury that has killed off the original keratin and bone. Because shells grow incrementally, the original shell has growth lines and a recognizable pattern to it. When a bad injury happens, like this one was (burned? chewed?) the old keratin and bone was killed and new shell grew under that dead portion. Because the new keratin and bone has grown "all at once" (even though it took a very long time), there is no growth rings or recognizable pattern.

The injury is very old and healed and there's nothing that needs to be done for it.

Reactions: Ink

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
That's what the new shell looks like after a bad injury that has killed off the original keratin and bone. Because shells grow incrementally, the original shell has growth lines and a recognizable pattern to it. When a bad injury happens, like this one was (burned? chewed?) the old keratin and bone was killed and new shell grew under that dead portion. Because the new keratin and bone has grown "all at once" (even though it took a very long time), there is no growth rings or recognizable pattern.

The injury is very old and healed and there's nothing that needs to be done for it.

could it be due bacteria or fungi infection? Or is it because it had an external injury?
My friend says that she has seen scutes fall because of bacterias infection... she also says the upper part looks “healthy” but she belives it could have some sort of Infection in the lower area.
She is also wondering why its so bumpy ??
Sorry too many questions, we are just trying to learn and help this little fella and future Ones ?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I'm shocked at the smoothness of the healthy shell, which is quite the contrast to the damaged portion

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
could it be due bacteria or fungi infection? Or is it because it had an external injury?
My friend says that she has seen scutes fall because of bacterias infection... she also says the upper part looks “healthy” but she belives it could have some sort of Infection in the lower area.
She is also wondering why its so bumpy ??
Sorry too many questions, we are just trying to learn and help this little fella and future Ones ?
It takes a very long time for new shell and bone to regenerate, and when the new starts to grow bigger than the old it causes the old, damaged parts to start lifting and to eventually pop off. It wasn't due to infection, but quite normal.

The bumpy part may still be waiting for new growth under it. Or it may be that the original injury didn't kill it and it will always be like that.