Shell indications

Erick153

5 Year Member
I am wondering how much you can tell about a tortoises health by the looks of the shell. I'm sure it's a lot, but I wouldn't know how to decypher the signs. This came up because I have noticed that Ayana's shell has become increasingly dark and the lines have become very thick.. I wonder if this is because of some sort of health issue or deficiency. Here are some before and after pics. and20150929_090042.jpg 1452791651403482530987.jpg As you can see, at a month old, her shell used to be very pale and the lines were very thin, but now, at about, 6 months there is a drastic changem is this normal?

Erick153

5 Year Member
My best guess is calcium deficiency. I have a calcium supplement and was only giving it to her twice a week as suggested on other sites. To be honest I wasn't very consistent with it but became more so after noticing this. I recently read the label on the bottle and it says it should be given everyday. What should I do?

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
My best guess is calcium deficiency. I have a calcium supplement and was only giving it to her twice a week as suggested on other sites. To be honest I wasn't very consistent with it but became more so after noticing this. I recently read the label on the bottle and it says it should be given everyday. What should I do?
What deficiency have youy spotted??? Perfectly normal and healthy growth over there.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am wondering how much you can tell about a tortoises health by the looks of the shell. I'm sure it's a lot, but I wouldn't know how to decypher the signs. This came up because I have noticed that Ayana's shell has become increasingly dark and the lines have become very thick.. I wonder if this is because of some sort of health issue or deficiency. Here are some before and after pics. andView attachment 162263 View attachment 162264 As you can see, at a month old, her shell used to be very pale and the lines were very thin, but now, at about, 6 months there is a drastic changem is this normal?

I think it's showing some signs of minor pyramiding. You need to keep him/her in a humid environment, also that soak dish is not big enough. It needs to be big enough for him/her to sit in comfortability.
Looks a cutie to me though.
Could you post a side view of the carapace?
I can't help with tips for care on sulcata.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
FYI, Evidently nobody's mentioned how unsafe those water dishes are. They are a tripping/flipping hazard. I don't think there's anything wrong with your Sulcatas coloring. they change color as they get older... it's common.

These planter saucers are more safe, cheap and common.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-10-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-18-17-10-44.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 9

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am wondering how much you can tell about a tortoises health by the looks of the shell. I'm sure it's a lot, but I wouldn't know how to decypher the signs. This came up because I have noticed that Ayana's shell has become increasingly dark and the lines have become very thick.. I wonder if this is because of some sort of health issue or deficiency. Here are some before and after pics. andView attachment 162263 View attachment 162264 As you can see, at a month old, her shell used to be very pale and the lines were very thin, but now, at about, 6 months there is a drastic changem is this normal?
Here is Toms thread on how to raise sulcata. Thought you may be interested.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/