Shell injuries and possible infection.

Oromis

My sister brought an injured box turtle to me assuming that I would know what to do. I do not pretend to have any idea of what to do. I never met a turtle I didn't immediately love. My goal is rehabilitation; fix him up and send him back home a healthy and happy turtle. All I can do is hope that some of you may be able to give me a place to start or possibly recommend that I take him to a veterinarian.

1401740863536.jpg
(Missing/broken scutes. Hard black underlayer.)

1401741064956.jpg
(Red inflamed, possibly infected, puffy broken skin at hinge on plastron.)
1401741450580.jpg
1401741511548.jpg

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help, but I will try to get the attention of,a couple people that might. Clearer pictures would also help. So here is a shout out for @yvonne and @tortadise for some possible help. Good luck, hope,your able to,help him and place him back into,the wild.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The pics are kinda blurry. But the missing scute looks like an old injury. Raccoons and opossums are a major predator for box turtles. I'd scrub the himge(area that looks infected) and place some antibiotic ointment on it. And let is on it's way once it starts healing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turtles are amazingly resilient. If this is a wild turtle, I'd just put it back where it came from. He'll be fine.