shell question

Venger

I have a red foot that the shell turned white. is it normal for this to happen and how to prevent in any case?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We'll need to see pictures before we can help you.

Welcome to the Forum!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! That's just new growth. It's pretty common in Redfoots especially cherry heads. The term commonly used for this is "marbling". Nice looking animal.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Beautiful marbling and pretty red head!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Haha! I didn't know my baby cherry would marble either and at first thought if was dirt or calcium caught between the scutes. I'd even try to clean it off with soft baby brush We are lucky, because marbling seems to be very desirable among tort keepers

Venger

Haha! I didn't know my baby cherry would marble either and at first thought if was dirt or calcium caught between the scutes. I'd even try to clean it off with soft baby brush We are lucky, because marbling seems to be very desirable among tort keepers
why is marbling so good about? :p
is it the diet that caused it? this chap currently 9cm now and about 18 months maybe... is a eating machine.. over growing then another one i got the same period.

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
why is marbling so good about? :p
is it the diet that caused it? this chap currently 9cm now and about 18 months maybe... is a eating machine.. over growing then another one i got the same period.
To me it's just pretty, interesting. Makes them look uniqueImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462550361.352458.jpg here's my baby Tucker

Pearly

5 Year Member
thats a very nice marbling.. very even.. :)
no pyramiding too :)
Thank you:) I've been "breathing this forum" since last June. I wish I had found it before buying "a pair" (didn't know better then), but I can make things work with what I have. Plan is to either separate them or get another couple of girls, which I just might, now that I'm getting this down:)

Venger

Thank you:) I've been "breathing this forum" since last June. I wish I had found it before buying "a pair" (didn't know better then), but I can make things work with what I have. Plan is to either separate them or get another couple of girls, which I just might, now that I'm getting this down:)
Got my torts last Aug and I started to read up more about them and found this forum. Got 4 cherry now. 2 new born.. :) I do prefer them in their original state though. I heard it's the veg diet that caused that to happened and mazuri might help for those that ain't getting any "marbling" syndrome .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I don't think diet has anything to do with it, I think it's genetics. None of mine have any marbling.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Got my torts last Aug and I started to read up more about them and found this forum. Got 4 cherry now. 2 new born.. :) I do prefer them in their original state though. I heard it's the veg diet that caused that to happened and mazuri might help for those that ain't getting any "marbling" syndrome .
But RF's are not vegetarian, they are omnivores. I've been feeding mine protein as advised by Tortoise Library (great site for RF's). Most keepers seem to like the color variations.give yours some time to grow. I think she'll be a beautiful tort

Venger

But RF's are not vegetarian, they are omnivores. I've been feeding mine protein as advised by Tortoise Library (great site for RF's). Most keepers seem to like the color variations.give yours some time to grow. I think she'll be a beautiful tort
tough to blend a balance diet..o_O

Pearly

5 Year Member
tough to blend a balance diet..o_O
Have you checked out Tortoise Library yet? It has a good section on feeding. I have a thread here on "feeding picky eater" RF. I didn't always feel this confident in feeding RF tort babies, but it's a skill. Do your reading and keep trying