shell recovery - what I might expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laijla

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm hoping some tort keepers who have seen past shell injuries could give some hints/insight on what I might expect with Jet's shell recovery and new growth. Jet is about 7-8 months old now. 7 weeks ago my small dog (13lb.) left 5 puncture wounds in his shell, 3 shallow bite marks and 2 deeper. The wounds were cleaned immediately and a reptile vet gave him an antibiotic injection. I now see glossy, clear like growth around the 2 deep puncture wounds. Initially Jet did not eat for 10 days but has had a steady appetite of fresh weeds and daily doses of dappled sunlight in the evening when I get home from work. He's been eating clover, violets, dandelions, henbit, butternut squash, endive, blueberries (love the blueberry stained moustache) and had two juicy fat earthworms 2 days ago. After all the drama and stress - WOW, he just seems to be thriving :) !!!
I'm starting to see a band of glossy, smooth growth on the top of his shell but I'm a bit worried the last three months the humidity might have been less than ideal (always stayed between 60-70% humidity). I seem to have it under control and its more steadily in the high 70's to 80% now... life is looking GOOD!
He is on cypress mulch with sphagnum moss in his hide. He has been getting calcium sprinkled on his food 2-3 times a week and his shell is not soft. When he walks he stands up high and really moves well. All good signs! :)
Guess my main questions are:
a) will a hatchling that started out well with smooth growth the first 4-5 months THEN received not the most ideal temps and humidity for about 2-3 months still potentially show obvious pyramiding ??? He now is getting the required conditions... I'm curious how quickly and severe pyrymiding can crop up even with brief poor husbandry in hatchlings.
b) do puncture wounds in a softer hatchling's shell recover and show less scarring in the long haul than in an established, harder adult shell???

*** I also will try to post pics soon - promise! ;)

Laijla

Status
Not open for further replies.