Shell Rot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just picked up my new torts and the Redfoot came with shell rot. the guy said the previous owner kept the tortoise in standing water for 1 year! He said I just need to wash it once a week?!

I am planning to clean with Betadine and begin treatment tomorrow, gonna let it settle in a bit.

question is, is Silver Sulfadiazine cream 1%, OK to treat? I have an entire tube of it left from a turtle, I imagine it would be fine but thought i would check first. Vet is closed on Sunday or I would check with her.

Will post pics tomorrow!!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I believe shell rot can be bacterial or fungal. So the treatment will be determined by that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, the silver stuff is to help something heal. What you need is a product that kills fungus. You can use plain old human athlete's foot creme.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Here are the pics. To me it looks all healed. No areas are soft or have any smell to them, I washed with diluted Betadine and applied some anti-funal, but it looks good to me. I am planning on keeping a close eye on it though until our trip to the vet in Feb.

I was told he/she is approximately 3 years old, is 551g and 4 5/8"

Here are a few pics of the new tort!

377.jpg

378.jpg

373.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Not the worst case I have seen... just keep the area clean and continue to apply the athlete's foot cream (you only need the betadine for the initial wash, it is too harsh to use daily) and it should clear up in a week or two.

Pretty little Redfoot :)

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I will keep treating then! So happy to finally have a Redfoot! Now spring just needs to get here so I can turn the yard into tortoise space!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
:D will be a very happy tortoise when that's cleared up!

Connie

5 Year Member
I read on this site to use Betadine for the initial treatment of shell rot, but use it only once or twice because it can inhibit shell growth. I also read of peoplee using Nolvasan diluted.
( I have Nolvason and Nolvasan Skin and wound cleaner.).. Isn't Nolvasan a much safer alternative and also a preventative to use weekly or so???

Status
Not open for further replies.