Shell Rot?

Jenna G.

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi guys I'm hoping you can help me out. A while back I posted a question in the intro about my habit setup for my baby Cherry Head. I was struggling with the Humidity and lighting. I have since gotten the humidity to stay between 80-90% on most days and the temp is around 80-85 degrees. Recently I have noticed some very small spots on the bottom of Tanks shell. I am worried it could be the start of Shell Rot. I don't know much about it so could you please take a look and let me know what you think?! Also I am using a spanghum moss subtrate overtop of cypress mulch.
image.jpg
image.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That could be abrasion areas....so if you really look at your enclosure and correct any overly rough obstacles...and also allow the top layers to be dry...then the area should correct itself...if the abrasion continues then bacteria can get in and you will have shell "rot" to contend with...

Turtlepete

South Florida
It's a very small start of shell fungus which is entirely different from shell rot. Just buy a tube of clotrimazole cream and keep it around. Nothing serious, at all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Shell-rot is a generic term which describes the visible effects of bacterial, fungal or even algal (in aquatic species) diseases of a tortoise's or turtle's shell. These diseases often follow damage or abrasions, even those that are seemingly minor in extent. In actuality, any penetrative damage to the shell may result in unwelcome bacteria, or other pathogens gaining access to the blood-rich living tissue present just below the outer, hard, layer of keratin.

Most cases of simple "shell-rot", however, respond well to debridement of loose or soft (affected) tissue and thorough cleansing, at least twice daily, with a povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution. This should be fairly vigorously applied using an old toothbrush or nail brush. Rinse off after each application. It is important that the affected area is kept dry and air is allowed to circulate freely - many of the organisms typically responsible for this condition are anaerobic, or do best when actually deprived of oxygen

Minor skin and shell infections can be treated at home by gently scrubbing the affected area with a dilute povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution and applying a topical antibiotic ointment two times a day. If the wound fails to heal but the reptile’s overall condition is still good, a fungal infection may be involved and an antifungal cream may be needed to treat the infection.

Jenna G.

Maryland
Thanks for the info! I will pick up some iodine and see if that starts to help. I was also thinking of changing the substrate to soil with the spang moss on top because I have trouble controlling the humidity. It seems that I have to continuously spray the substrate to keep the humidity levels up. Do you think changing to soil rather than cypress mulch would help?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks for the info! I will pick up some iodine and see if that starts to help. I was also thinking of changing the substrate to soil with the spang moss on top because I have trouble controlling the humidity. It seems that I have to continuously spray the substrate to keep the humidity levels up. Do you think changing to soil rather than cypress mulch would help?

Yes. However, I am not one who likes any of the wood chunk style substrates....so I don't have much to offer in regards to the cypress mulch part :D