Shell rot?

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
Recently aquired a new redfoot and upon bringing it home i noticed its plastron isnt normal. I assumed it is shell rot and am treating it. But just in case im posting a pic for second opinions. Thank you

1459992824830.jpg

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Looks like it, but could you post another pic take? Maybe at a little angle? Or zoom in more on one of those areas?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like a lot of fungal scars that have mostly healed and some abrasions from walking across cement or rocks.
Clean the areas with Betadine. (Just once) and then apply athletes foot cream once a day for at least a week to kill off any remaining fungus.
I use athletes foot cream found at the "Dollar Store" because it has the same active ingredient and is a fraction of the price.
Shell fungus is pretty common with a Redfoot.

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
Do you think after a week its okay to go back outside? It wont get it again? It likes to stay burried most of the day

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you think after a week its okay to go back outside? It wont get it again? It likes to stay burried most of the day
I never bring mine inside. Treat and just make sure that it can dry out for most of the day...Say, in a dry dog house?
Getting wet is something that they LOVE. But getting dry again is a must.
I see this mostly during the summer when it rains every stinking day for months. Though I've gotten it under control by a large degree by building dry night dog houses filled with hay. They play in the mud during the day and get dry at night while they all sleep.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
There's nothing fungus hates more than a fresh breeze! It loves dark, humid and warm! I'd just make sure tort's belly doesn't sit on wet substrate (inside). Outside he should be able to do whatever he wants, just give him his baths, and follow the earlier posted advise about betadine and Clotrimazole cream. There are no llongertm illeffects to this, it's just cosmetic.

Reactions: Rue

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
Alright back outisde it goes. Just it always stays burried outside so no breeze is getting to it haha

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
I have no problem with it being outside. Id rather it be out there soaking up the sun. Im gonna give it a go and just keep an eye on it for sure. Thank you for all your import i really appreciate it!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
None of mine bury themselves.
Could you have too much heat or too much sunshine/ not enough shade?
Just guessing because mine either go into a pipe or a doghouse or hang out in bushes..They don't like it really hot or very bright.

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
They have a hide and a canopy over there shelter so certain parts get sun for different parts of the day. I also have another and he doesnt really burrow. Just uses the hide and is out alot and eating alot