Shell rot?

norma.b

Location (City and/or State)
St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
thank you so much!
I recently got 2 tortoises with damaged shells. They are a pair from a bird farm that was sold. I think they were poorly cared for and first was just carrots and cabbage
The male looks like he was run over or hit by a car but shell has healed leaving grooves ( black cracks) One down the side of his shell and another across the back near bottom of his shell leaving the top of his leg back leg exposed. Just past his hinge. Shell is not rough seems like its worn smooth already. I cant post a photo because I put them both into my walled garden where I kept a hingbacked tortoise before for a few moths before releasing it after the Winter

norma.b

Thanks for your input. Today they both reappeared and I managed to take a couple of photos of both. Will post. I soaked them, put antibiotic ointment on shells and it was such a warm day that I let them go back in the garden.
I recently got 2 tortoises with damaged shells. They are a pair from a bird farm that was sold. I think they were poorly cared for and first was just carrots and cabbage
The male looks like he was run over or hit by a car but shell has healed leaving grooves ( black cracks) One down the side of his shell and another across the back near bottom of his shell leaving the top of his leg back leg exposed. Just past his hinge. Shell is not rough seems like its worn smooth already. I cant post a photo because I put them both into my walled garden where I kept a hingbacked tortoise before for a few moths before releasing it after the Winter

norma.b

Male hinged back with cracked damaged Carapace. Piece of shell over back leg broken away. Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• 20220329_140443.jpg
    20220329_140443.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220329_140501.jpg
    20220329_140501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220329_140506.jpg
    20220329_140506.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7