Shell scratches

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Alright, serious question here. Do tortoises really like shell scratches? I see videos all the time of sulcatas doing a kabuki dance when someone scratches their shell. Is this something they actually enjoy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know. But my guess is, it's more of a defense type move. My tortoises do it if they walk under a low branch, if I scratch them there, etc. But they do the move kinda in a GTF off me type way.
I don't think it bothers them or hurts them, but I don't think it's a Oh yeah, that's the spot, type thing either.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I don't know. But my guess is, it's more of a defense type move. My tortoises do it if they walk under a low branch, if I scratch them there, etc. But they do the move kinda in a GTF off me type way.
I don't think it bothers them or hurts them, but I don't think it's a Oh yeah, that's the spot, type thing either.
That's what I'm trying to differentiate here. Is it pleasure or is it defensive?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I've even seen water turtles do it.
My box turtle is still young, and doesn't do it yet... however he doesn't mind when I brush him with water and a finger nail brush (soft).

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
My box turtle is still young, and doesn't do it yet... however he doesn't mind when I brush him with water and a finger nail brush (soft).
They're hard to read sometimes. I recall reading Tom's bullying post some time ago. Things we would normally think of as "cute" or "friendly" (as it pertains to keeping them in pairs) is actually causing a low grade stress. If we observe this same behavior in a domesticated animal like a dog or cat, then we know that dog or cat is happy and content. Which is why I question shell scratches on tortoises. Enjoyable or stressful?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure we will ever really know for sure. Some of us like to think they like it, but there is no proof of that. Same as there is no proof it's a defense thing.
I know mine could always walk away and they don't. On the other hand, if it's a branch, they setimes act like they want to push it over, like they are peed at it.

Reactions: Ink

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They're hard to read sometimes. I recall reading Tom's bullying post some time ago. Things we would normally think of as "cute" or "friendly" (as it pertains to keeping them in pairs) is actually causing a low grade stress. If we observe this same behavior in a domesticated animal like a dog or cat, then we know that dog or cat is happy and content. Which is why I question shell scratches on tortoises. Enjoyable or stressful?
I don't believe it's stressful. But I don't think it's they love it either.
If you think about it in the wild, it's going to be branches or another tortoise that they would be doing the move on. Which leans towards defense move.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I don't believe it's stressful. But I don't think it's they love it either.
If you think about it in the wild, it's going to be branches or another tortoise that they would be doing the move on. Which leans towards defense move.

You think.
I'm wondering if I shoulda posted this to Debatable Topics. lol

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
If my leopard doesn't walk away I continue to brush him. When he walks away I'm done. It's usually around 1 minute or less. Not a lot. And not every soak. Just if he gets dirty. He lets me know when he done by walking away.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If my leopard doesn't walk away I continue to brush him. When he walks away I'm done. It's usually around 1 minute or less. Not a lot. And not every soak. Just if he gets dirty. He lets me know when he done by walking away.
Mine never walk away. I usually stop first cuz they keeping doing it longer than I want to stand there and scratch lol.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Mine either gives no reaction or seems annoyed by it. I do know he hates when I take a toothbrush to his shell.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My experience shows what I believe to be that they do enjoy shell scratches.

In fact I attached nylon brush heads to the wall of one of my outdoors enclosures and several of my tortoises would stop and self scratch many times a day.