Shipping Large Sulcata Tortoise

CTP

5 Year Member
So I'm trying to adopt out my tortoise: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-84134.html

I HAVE searched for and read all the other tortoise-shipping threads on the forum. But I was hoping I could get some more detail on some things? I am VERY new to this and have never shipped an animal before, much less a reptile, so I want to be 100% sure of everything.

My tortoise is a LARGE ADULT Sulcata. I would wager he's about 40-50 pounds, though not sure. I have some questions--

• What are the specific names of the services that are good to ship large reptiles?
  • What are the price ranges like?
  • Could someone maybe give me a "For Dummies" guide as to exactly what kind of shipping products to use?
  • What kind of box? Bedding? It's winter- how will he stay warm?
  • Anything else specific to Sulcatas I should know?

Like I said, I am VERY new to this, so I feel like I need more help than usual. Any advice would be appreciated!

CTP

5 Year Member
Are you recommending shipyourreptiles.com? I saw that, but I think I just need a little more help in terms of the specifics. Will SYR still ship my tortoise now, in the middle of winter?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can contact them and they will walk you through it and how to do it and has what you need to ship. I don't know their requirements as far as the weather and temps. Being a large tortoise, they are not quite as delicate in colder temps as hatchlings. However, I'm sure they would not do it, if it is too cold or bad weather. I would talk to them though, they should be able to answer all your questions.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't think shipyoureptile can* ship a tortoise that large. In fact, with shipping of live animals there is a pound limit (I think under 100 lbs, but not sure). So, you first would neled to get an accurate weight on your tort. Second, your tort would have to be put in a crate because he's likely to bust right out of carton or box. Third, with live animals, they will not ship to an area where the temps are below 32 degrees. Personally, I would try to find someone local to adopt your tort because it would be extremely stressful on your tortoise plus it would be extremely expensive too. Perhaps UPS will ship, but federal law states that you must follow all the guidelines in shipping live animals. So, it's not a matter of putting your tort in a wood box and out he goes. You would have to put heat pads in his crate that will keep him warm for more than 24 hours. Btw, I'm curious, what state would he be shipped to?

* I meant can't

CTP

5 Year Member
sibi said:
I don't think shipyoureptile can* ship a tortoise that large. In fact, with shipping of live animals there is a pound limit (I think under 100 lbs, but not sure). So, you first would neled to get an accurate weight on your tort. Second, your tort would have to be put in a crate because he's likely to bust right out of carton or box. Third, with live animals, they will not ship to an area where the temps are below 32 degrees. Personally, I would try to find someone local to adopt your tort because it would be extremely stressful on your tortoise plus it would be extremely expensive too. Perhaps UPS will ship, but federal law states that you must follow all the guidelines in shipping live animals. So, it's not a matter of putting your tort in a wood box and out he goes. You would have to put heat pads in his crate that will keep him warm for more than 24 hours. Btw, I'm curious, what state would he be shipped to?

* I meant can't
I'm currently in New York. I'm trying to find someone who will adopt him - but I'm going to wager that that someone will probably be somewhere across the country or in the south. I am okay paying a lot of money as long as the tortoise can end up in a safe and happy home.

Is there any way someone could link me to a page about the guidelines for shipping reptiles? I've looked around but haven't really been able to find clear specifics as far as tortoises go.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
A good place to learn about shipment of reptiles is shipyoureptile.com They have a page about shipping. Go through that because it will explain federal standards for shipping reptiles. If they can ship that large of a tortoise, they are the ones I suggest to go with. But, like I said earlier, I don't think they'll ship a tort that large. You may have to ship with UPS or US postal, but again, they have regulations you must follow. NY is extremely cold this time of year. You may have to wait on shipping until the weather temps get to above 50 degrees. Is it to Tiffany in SoCal that you're wanting to ship?
CTP said:
sibi said:

* I meant can't
I'm currently in New York. I'm trying to find someone who will adopt him - but I'm going to wager that that someone will probably be somewhere across the country or in the south. I am okay paying a lot of money as long as the tortoise can end up in a safe and happy home.

Is there any way someone could link me to a page about the guidelines for shipping reptiles? I've looked around but haven't really been able to find clear specifics as far as tortoises go.

CTP

5 Year Member
sibi said:
A good place to learn about shipment of reptiles is shipyoureptile.com They have a page about shipping. Go through that because it will explain federal standards for shipping reptiles. If they can ship that large of a tortoise, they are the ones I suggest to go with. But, like I said earlier, I don't think they'll ship a tort that large. You may have to ship with UPS or US postal, but again, they have regulations you must follow. NY is extremely cold this time of year. You may have to wait on shipping until the weather temps get to above 50 degrees. Is it to Tiffany in SoCal that you're wanting to ship?

Okay, thank you for your help. I'll call shipyoureptile.com as soon as I can.

And well, yes, that's the tentative idea at the moment, but it's not yet officially set in stone -- so obviously anyone else who is interested or can help in any way should definitely speak up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You may want to think of shipping him by plane.

argus333

5 Year Member
I'm in new jersey. [email protected] email me some pics... Your 100% it's a male? If u ship ur gonna have to do delta dash drop ship. U will have to build a thick Woden crate. Screwed together. I'd insulate the sides also this time of yr. Will be expensive if he's a big guy. U will drop at airport then he will have to be picked up at receiving airport.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
There is no specific weight limit on shipping a tortoise, but the heavier and larger it is, the more expensive it becomes. ShipYourReptiles is a FedEx service, and will be the best choice over UPS or USPS.

Air freight through Delta Dash should also be considered with very heavy or crated shipments.

"Large" sulcatas can be very heavy indeed. You should start by clarifying what "large" is. Is it really 40 pounds? Or 80 pounds? Or 125 pounds?

A cardboard shipping box, even well insulated, is going to have a hard time containing a truly large tortoise. Not because the animal is ornery and trying to bust out, but just from the weight of the animal busting seams and tape. Insulation and cardboard doesn't have the structural integrity to securely house such a heavy animal.

That is where a wood crate becomes necessary. What you can do is start with an insulated box of the appropriate size, then cut pieces of 3/4" plywood to enclose the cardboard box itself. Carefully measured and cut, the overlapping pieces of plywood can be screwed into each other with wood screws, which makes the 3/4" more practical than something thin like 1/4". You can also use 2x2s or 1x2s for additional structure and bracing.

There is a special handling fee with UPS or FedEx if the box does NOT have an outer cardboard layer as well. That can be addressed by cutting pieces of cardboard and taping them around the crate. That meets the requirement.

We have certainly booked large crates and boxes for shipping, mostly for zoos. While a 2 pound 12x9x6 box containing a hatchling or juvie tortoise may be $65-$75 to ship, a 100 pound tortoise may be $500 or more to ship. The heavier and bulkier it is, the more expensive it becomes. The crate alone will probably be 20 pounds.

Placing the animal locally is going to be the best economical choice. If that isn't possible, then feel free to contact me directly and I am happy to go over more specific details with you. [email protected]

Best of luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another option might be to try to find somebody who would be driving from your area to CA for the holidays and would be willing to take him for a price.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Check this out! They won't ship from December 17- January 6. I can't have anything (for sure) by the 16th... That's just not going to work :D. I put in the Albany zip code and my zip code (91754) and it says about $100 for the to your door drop off... that's not right... it can't be right... hmm

argus333

5 Year Member
ill meet u if u want i have to go up to new paltz /poghkipski ny on friday anyway.. if u want let me know... no shipping.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
tffnytorts said:
Check this out! They won't ship from December 17- January 6. I can't have anything (for sure) by the 16th... That's just not going to work :D. I put in the Albany zip code and my zip code (91754) and it says about $100 for the to your door drop off... that's not right... it can't be right... hmm

You CAN ship, we just don't advise it, due to the high holiday shipping volume, which leads to more delays and exceptions.

junozhou

i live in NY too and i dont recommend that you ship out the tortoise at this climate

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
My .2 cents:
Wait til it's warmer but not too hot. Sustained 70's are good.
Don't use United Petsafe.
If you're feeling brave, register him as a therapy animal, put him in a pet carry-on container, and fly with him in the pressurized cabin.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Livingstone said:
My .2 cents:
Wait til it's warmer but not too hot. Sustained 70's are good.
Don't use United Petsafe.
If you're feeling brave, register him as a therapy animal, put him in a pet carry-on container, and fly with him in the pressurized cabin.

I'd feel bad for the people on board lol my sully always poops and pees so much when we go anywhere, it could be a stinky plane ride lol ;)

katsbabey

5 Year Member
Have you re homed him yet?? I live in ohio and have a friend coming through ny let me know I have a 12 yr old sulcata named babey she's looking for a hubby. .lol

Let me know if you have not re homed him yet