Shocking Video - Chef Making Turtle Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
They actually featured a restaurant on diners drive ins and dives, that made turtle soup.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Okay now that I have read the whole thread I may have nightmare. To me turtles and tortoise is up there with eatting dog. It just makes me feel bad :(

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
I apologize to anyone who got queezy or freaked out by the thread title. I wish you all the very best boorgen hoorgen bork bork! :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jacqui said:
That would also depend on what species, how much habitat they have, how much harvesting was allowed, population density, and so on the same as it is with any other animal or plant.

Not really. There are some animals that are categorically poor candidates for prolonged hunting, and that includes sharks, turtles, and whales. People think that sharks, turtles, and whales are okay to hunt because they are aquatic, and so must be just as good a resource as other aquatic animals like bony fish, crustaceans, and mollusks, but they're not. They don't make as many offspring as these other, smaller animals, nor do they reproduce as often. Although surprisingly prolific, these larger vertebrates invest more into each offspring, and so cannot afford to have as many of them. Thus, they can easily be over-fished and extirpated.

It's one thing for rural or tribal people to live off rivers and the sea, or for urban people to eat a turtle as a novelty, as I did. But if we consistently harvest turtles - any turtles - then this will lead to their demise. Therefore, we have to be very careful about how many turtles and other such animals we take from the wild for pets or food, because it is all to easy to deplete their populations into oblivion.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Jacqui said:
That would also depend on what species, how much habitat they have, how much harvesting was allowed, population density, and so on the same as it is with any other animal or plant.

Not really.

Before I remind both of us, that we are taking this off the topic and need to stop, I will just make this comment. I disagree with you, I think it could be done, but this is not the place for this discussion and neither of us could prove our point any how.

Status
Not open for further replies.