shop food?

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
So im getting my first tortoise this week and wanted to know what type of leafy greens i can get from the shop? i know things like dandelions, clovers and waterress is good, but wanted to know what type of thing can i get?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
So im getting my first tortoise this week and wanted to know what type of leafy greens i can get from the shop? i know things like dandelions, clovers and waterress is good, but wanted to know what type of thing can i get?

Hi Mase! Can you tell us a little bit more about where you live and what kind of stores are available to you? That will help us give you some options.

All I can find about Redcar is that is seems bigger than one town?

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
Hi Mase! Can you tell us a little bit more about where you live and what kind of stores are available to you? That will help us give you some options.

All I can find about Redcar is that is seems bigger than one town?

Loads of pet stores, Tesco, Asda, Morrison’s, plenty, also there is a town nearby called Middlesbrough, I just wanted to know if there is things I can buy from these stores? I’m also getting a Hermann tortoise

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Okay, you aren’t going to find the broadest diet in a grocery store but it’s what you have. Grocery diets should be largely made up of chicories, which include dandelions; radicchio; frisee; endive; and escarole as staples. Tesco sells a bagged salad called florette classic crispy salad, which is good; it includes lambs lettuce in addition to frisee and radicchio. Their nightingale mix is fine to mix in on occasion.

Rocket is fine in moderation, as is watercress. Radish leaves (just the leaves) and turnip leaves are good items, particularly turnip leaves. Bok choy, kale, collards, are all fine in moderation.

If you can get mache (corn salad), that’s something to mix in occasionally.

You’re going to find a way to add in some fiber. Nutrazu Tortoise Diet and Pre Alpin Testudo pellets are good supplements for including fiber. If you can’t find those, look for ZooMed.

If you have a garden or a neighbor with a garden, look at the Tortoise Table website; it offers lists of edible foods that are commonly grown in English gardens.

If you haven’t already read the Hermann’s care sheet in the Hermann subforum, please do so. It’s a long sheet but includes just about everything you need to know. I’m not familiar with Hermann’s; they may need supplements if housed indoors. You can find that information in the care sheet.

You may find an Asian market in town. If you do, you may find some good things there to mix in. Do a search for Asian or Chinese market and see what you get.

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
Okay, you aren’t going to find the broadest diet in a grocery store but it’s what you have. Grocery diets should be largely made up of chicories, which include dandelions; radicchio; frisee; endive; and escarole as staples. Tesco sells a bagged salad called florette classic crispy salad, which is good; it includes lambs lettuce in addition to frisee and radicchio. Their nightingale mix is fine to mix in on occasion.

Rocket is fine in moderation, as is watercress. Radish leaves (just the leaves) and turnip leaves are good items, particularly turnip leaves. Bok choy, kale, collards, are all fine in moderation.

If you can get mache (corn salad), that’s something to mix in occasionally.

You’re going to find a way to add in some fiber. Nutrazu Tortoise Diet and Pre Alpin Testudo pellets are good supplements for including fiber. If you can’t find those, look for ZooMed.

If you have a garden or a neighbor with a garden, look at the Tortoise Table website; it offers lists of edible foods that are commonly grown in English gardens.

If you haven’t already read the Hermann’s care sheet in the Hermann subforum, please do so. It’s a long sheet but includes just about everything you need to know. I’m not familiar with Hermann’s; they may need supplements if housed indoors. You can find that information in the care sheet.

You may find an Asian market in town. If you do, you may find some good things there to mix in. Do a search for Asian or Chinese market and see what you get.
Ok great fantastic information, thank you very much