Should a tortoise eat bird poop?

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hello, Rosie is my two month old tortoise who lives inside. I treat him with all of the right food, and variations. For some reason, every time I take him outside he heads straight for the concrete. This isn’t that strange, because there is another grass patch on the other side. The problem is, he won’t stop eating the bird poop. It is dry, and crusty. He has already flaked off one giant chunk without me looking. Is this bad for him, because sometimes I can’t prevent it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello, Rosie is my two month old tortoise who lives inside. I treat him with all of the right food, and variations. For some reason, every time I take him outside he heads straight for the concrete. This isn’t that strange, because there is another grass patch on the other side. The problem is, he won’t stop eating the bird poop. It is dry, and crusty. He has already flaked off one giant chunk without me looking. Is this bad for him, because sometimes I can’t prevent it.
Hello and welcome to TFO. That sounds like a silly little baby to me. Sooo... you'll have to find a way to stop that. It's not good for them to eat bird poop. There's viruses etc.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your tortoise should have his own suitable secure outdoor enclosure when he is outside. Without any kind of 💩 in it. How about some pictures of the tortoises? And their enclosures? Then we can offer more help.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok, thank you!
Can you post some pictures of your setups? in reality, 2 month old babies don't have to be and probably shouldn't be outside without supervision.. Also, what type of tortoise is the one you have? They're not all the same care. They're different. I have a little Russian.😊🐢

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do what you can to keep him away from it. However, my tortoises live outside in the summer. We have wild birds. I'm not and never will go clean all the grass and weeds from bird poop. I'm sure no one is doing that in the wild either. So don't worry too much about it. If a tortoise lives outside, where they should at least when it's warm, they will get bird poop!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoise should have his own suitable secure outdoor enclosure when he is outside. Without any kind of 💩 in it. How about some pictures of the tortoises? And their enclosures? Then we can offer more help.
I want a video of you keeping bird poop out of the tortoise yard.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Like a previous post mentioned bird poop can carry parasites/worms so you just got to be careful and you might wanna look into buying some dewormer JIC just do ur research some people rather a vet deworm their turtles I do it myself cause vets are expensive u just need to make sure the dosage is right for the turtles/tortoise size/weight