Should I add another tortoise to my enclosure?

Darrell1738

everything looks very dry. i used plastic wrap and duct tape to seal in the heat and humidity. ideally a digital humidity indicator is the way to go. more accurate.

and if the current tort is larger and you add a second smaller one...im sure you can assume which will bully which.
I have a new enclosure, and decided against getting the other tort. I read a forum a couple days ago that made a lot of sense, and said that instead of buying another tort, to take the money you would spend on it, and really do a nice cage instead, so I made Mahoney a new nicer cage, that's a whole lot easier to monitor than the other guineapig cage was! I definitely like the closed chamber cages better now that I have one and can see first hand how much more active and happy Mahoney seems to be. He was already a little lower house in the guinea pig cage munchin and walking around, but he did sleep most of the day. Now he is a lot more active, since the coldest part of his enclosure now is 84 degrees! He has also been eating more, I guess since it's easier for him to digest his food and keep the humidity in the enclosure up!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for the feedback! At first I was kind of taken back, but once I realized that everyone on this forum is here to help each other out, and to help spred knowledge for the animals, and only want what's best for the animals, I quickly grew thicker skin and got over it! I want to thank everyone for their help! Also I am getting one of the tube reptisun 10.0 uvb bulbs that will run the whole length of my cage, but it hasn't come in yet. I thought it was suppose to come in this Friday, but it still hasn't, so the coil bulb is just a place holder till then! I don't wanna leave such a young tort without uvb for that long!
I'd take the bulb out.
He'll be fine for a few days.

Darrell1738

I have a new enclosure, and decided against getting the other tort. I read a forum a couple days ago that made a lot of sense, and said that instead of buying another tort, to take the money you would spend on it, and really do a nice cage instead, so I made Mahoney a new nicer cage, that's a whole lot easier to monitor than the other guineapig cage was! I definitely like the closed chamber cages better now that I have one and can see first hand how much more active and happy Mahoney seems to be. He was already a little lower house in the guinea pig cage munchin and walking around, but he did sleep most of the day. Now he is a lot more active, since the coldest part of his enclosure now is 84 degrees! He has also been eating more, I guess since it's easier for him to digest his food and keep the humidity in the enclosure up!
Here is the finished product! Forgot I had these old windows out of an old shed, and cleaned/dissenfected it! (Paint is water based, and is made to look aged and old, I like the look of it!) other than the reptisun bulb that apparently comes in this coming Friday, this closed chamber cage is finally finished! Special thanks to everyone who helped along the way!

Attachments

• IMG_8468.JPG
    IMG_8468.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
here's some constructive criticism. everything else is awesome. Those button thermometer/hygrometer are NOTORIOUSLY wrong. Very inconsistent. I had two brand new ones in my chamber that always read different. Sometimes by ALOT. I think the humidity gets inside them...The digital ones with a probe on a cord are more accurate. cheap too. About $15. I would get two and put one on the cold side (hanging a couple inches from the ground and one on the hot side a couple inches from the ground). The main digital mechanism is placed outside the chamber. And honestly, If those Windows don't get fogged a bit, the humidity isn't high enough for a baby.

Last edited:

Darrell1738

here's some constructive criticism. everything else is awesome. Those button thermometer/hygrometer are NOTORIOUSLY wrong. Very inconsistent. I had two brand new ones in my chamber that always read different. Sometimes by ALOT. I think the humidity gets inside them...The digital ones with a probe on a cord are more accurate. cheap too. About $15. I would get to and put one on the cold side couple inches from the ground and one on the hot side couple inches from the ground. Honestly, If those Windows don't get fogged a bit the humidity isn't high enough for a baby.
I actually work at a local pet store, so I was planning on getting 2 of the digital readers this Thursday, when our shipment comes in! Thanks for the humidity tip!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Good, that's very good. That way you won't ever go below 80 degrees either because it'll be so easy to notice on the digital display.

Darrell1738

Good, that's very good. That way you won't ever go below 80 degrees either because it'll be so easy to notice on the digital display.
I have 2 digital therms in the enclosure, the pet store I work at was out of them, the day I adopted Mahoney. Im lucky enough to work at a petstore that sells these things!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I have 2 digital therms in the enclosure, the pet store I work at was out of them, the day I adopted Mahoney. Im lucky enough to work at a petstore that sells these things!

the ones I have check temperature and humidity at the same time. that way I have one on the cold side and one on the hot side That check both...Less equipment

Darrell1738

the ones I have check temperature and humidity at the same time. that way I have one on the cold side and one on the hot side That check both...Less equipment
What brand are they? Or could you post a pic of one? I'd rather have less equipment like you said!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida