Should I add another tortoise to my enclosure?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
aquariums and terrariums are good for keeping in humidity the problem is they're very very expensive the larger you go

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if the other one has dots on the shell it's probably a leopard

Darrell1738

Sorry to bother you guys again, but if I do adopt the other tortoise, (housing her in a separate cage) since they need to be quarantined for atleast 6 months, would it be ok to keep them in the same room, or should I keep them in separate parts of the house? Also I am aware of the size Sulcatas get, and am about to start breaking ground on my outdoor enclosure for their grow-out stage. Can someone link me to a page of others outdoor enclosures? Thanks guys!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sorry to bother you guys again, but if I do adopt the other tortoise, (housing her in a separate cage) since they need to be quarantined for atleast 6 months, would it be ok to keep them in the same room, or should I keep them in separate parts of the house? Also I am aware of the size Sulcatas get, and am about to start breaking ground on my outdoor enclosure for their grow-out stage. Can someone link me to a page of others outdoor enclosures? Thanks guys!
Same room is ok, when together one could be sick or carrying worms, etc...and they like to eat poop sometimes could spread things in many different ways

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-enclosures.7/
Look here and you could find a lot of good ideas, keep in mind that when they get larger issues will still remain, they don't do well in pairs but groups sometimes work.

Darrell1738

IMG_8444.JPG
its not recommend. Problem is bullying is very tough to spot at first and when you actually catch it, it could be too late and damage could be done.. Also you should never put them together without a 6 month to a year quarantine anyway. 2 torts mean 2 enclosures.

Also that cage is not going to hold the heat and humidity needed.
Posting this pic of the cage I built yesterday. Took what you guys said to heart, and wanted to fix the problem, before it actually became a problem! Still waiting on my tube uvb bulb to get here, but how does everything else look? P.s. I'm going to pick up the plexi glass doors tomorrow!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looks like you've been busy - and like oyu have had your questions answered. I think you're better off with just one Sully. When they get older you'll need a massive amount of room for two and there's no telling if just the presence of another tortoise in the adjoining yard will cause issues. I've heard @Yvonne G talk about having move torts to different yards because they *knew* an 'intruder' was nearby.

Darrell1738

Looks like you've been busy - and like oyu have had your questions answered. I think you're better off with just one Sully. When they get older you'll need a massive amount of room for two and there's no telling if just the presence of another tortoise in the adjoining yard will cause issues. I've heard @Yvonne G talk about having move torts to different yards because they *knew* an 'intruder' was nearby.
Thanks for the advice! I found a guy on YouTube who has a colony of sulcatas, and was wanting to mimic his colony. But I've seen a few threads on him about how the environment for his sulcatas isn't great (Kenan Harkin. I'm a biology major, and when I do graduate I'm planning on getting a job as an animal conservationist. My question is, is Florida a bad choice for Sulcatas, because of the high water table, and the humidity?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks for the advice! I found a guy on YouTube who has a colony of sulcatas, and was wanting to mimic his colony. But I've seen a few threads on him about how the environment for his sulcatas isn't great (Kenan Harkin. I'm a biology major, and when I do graduate I'm planning on getting a job as an animal conservationist. My question is, is Florida a bad choice for Sulcatas, because of the high water table, and the humidity?
I think Florida is great for sulcatas because of the humidity and heat. They don't absolutely need to burrow. If you provide them shelters where they can go to escape temperature extremes, they might not dig.

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
I keep a fairly large heating pad under the whole side of the enclosure that doesn't have the heat bulb on it keeping the substrate at about 85• and the humidity stays pretty up there as I do most the cage every morning and it stays at around 72%
everything looks very dry. i used plastic wrap and duct tape to seal in the heat and humidity. ideally a digital humidity indicator is the way to go. more accurate.

and if the current tort is larger and you add a second smaller one...im sure you can assume which will bully which.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Your new cage looks like something you can control TemPS and humidity in. Once the door is on. I don't like the coil like bulb but its probably better than the other coil bulbs. Humidity is important to monitor to stop pyramiding...No part of the cage should be less than 80f at any time. These are babies...Different care than for an adult. I think you're doing great and taking constuctive criticism very well. Constructive Criticism is just meant to make life easier on you and the tort. We wouldn't want your tort to get sick.... We're all animal lovers here...

Darrell1738

Your new cage looks like something you can control TemPS and humidity in. Once the door is on. I don't like the coil like bulb but its probably better than the other coil bulbs. Humidity is important to monitor to stop pyramiding...No part of the cage should be less than 80f at any time. These are babies...Different care than for an adult. I think you're doing great and taking constuctive criticism very well. Constructive Criticism is just meant to make life easier on you and the tort. We wouldn't want your tort to get sick.... We're all animal lovers here...
Thanks for the feedback! At first I was kind of taken back, but once I realized that everyone on this forum is here to help each other out, and to help spred knowledge for the animals, and only want what's best for the animals, I quickly grew thicker skin and got over it! I want to thank everyone for their help! Also I am getting one of the tube reptisun 10.0 uvb bulbs that will run the whole length of my cage, but it hasn't come in yet. I thought it was suppose to come in this Friday, but it still hasn't, so the coil bulb is just a place holder till then! I don't wanna leave such a young tort without uvb for that long!