Should I be worried

Russianpenelope98

Location (City and/or State)
Nampa, idaho
Bought my baby who is a female and believe to be around 5 months old. I’ve had her a week and she has not ate. Then I noticed she was squeaking and so I rushed her to a new vet as my vet didn’t see exotics... she said she felt like she had an upper respiratory infection and gave her a shot and sent me home to force feed her critical care. I can’t force feed her as I’m alone . I have done a carrot juice soak twice and she drank the first time a few times. Her enclosure is 95-100 in her basking area, 71-72 in the rest. No bubbles in her nose or any other signs ... I don’t wanna return her but I’m scared as she won’t eat anything. Should I return her or should I just go back and get more shots from vet of antibiotics and hope she will come around ? Thanks for ur kind feedback and help in advance. Again I’m new to this.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
don't get any more shots from the vet... the ambient temp should be up in the 80's Read this (thoroughly):

Lastly, if your baby is only 5 months old then sex can not be determined.

Post pictures of your setup and tort

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
don't get any more shots from the vet... the ambient temp should be up in the 80's Read this (thoroughly):

Lastly, if your baby is only 5 months old then sex can not be determined.

Post pictures of your setup and tort
Why no more shots? One shot for a upper respiratory infection is enough?

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
This is Penelope

Attachments

• 64DBA881-1E8E-4325-9FB6-49D9279CF398.jpeg
    64DBA881-1E8E-4325-9FB6-49D9279CF398.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 50495959-297A-41C8-BE45-619B93688EBD.jpeg
    50495959-297A-41C8-BE45-619B93688EBD.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 85

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Why no more shots? One shot for a upper respiratory infection is enough?
most vets have no idea how to treat tortoises and their "go to" is shots. increasing the temp is what will have the most benefit right now

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
bad news: That is not a 5 month old russian
good news: not in the fragile hatchling stage

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
most vets have no idea how to treat tortoises and their "go to" is shots. increasing the temp is what will have the most benefit right now
... ugh tortoise owners all have diff opinions and makes it so tough... She hasn’t ate in 8 day’s and I did get some critical care in her mouth a few times today. She just sleeps and hides unless she is outside and then she is a wild woman

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
good looking tort

you say you only had her a week.... torts hate change. they can sulk. read the care sheet and make all the changes that you need to. (the most important one being raising the ambient temp to between 80-85

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
good looking tort

you say you only had her a week.... torts hate change. they can sulk. read the care sheet and make all the changes that you need to. (the most important one being raising the ambient temp to between 80-85
Her temp is 95-100 in basking and 72 everywhere else. I’ve been soaking her but she won’t eat anything and I’ve tried everything on the list .

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
... ugh tortoise owners all have diff opinions and makes it so tough... She hasn’t ate in 8 day’s and I did get some critical care in her mouth a few times today. She just sleeps and hides unless she is outside and then she is a wild woman
she is a wild woman because the area is new and she is seeking a place to be safe.

i would venture a guess of between 4 and 5 years maybe older

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
she is a wild woman because the area is new and she is seeking a place to be safe.

i would venture a guess of between 4 and 5 years maybe older
Ok so u think I should just keep offering her food and she will eat when she needs to and not to keep being stressed? Also what about her sorry lil squeaks at me and just randomly? Should I be worried that she makes these noises often? I’ve read that’s not normal

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
what type of food are you offering her?

Get your temps right and the squeaks should go away
I had moved her lights and now her basking is 95 and the hide and cool area is 88 so that should be better? And I’ll see if her squeaking goes away. Thanks for all the info I truly love her and appreciate all the help..

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
I had moved her lights and now her basking is 95 and the hide and cool area is 88 so that should be better? And I’ll see if her squeaking goes away. Thanks for all the info I truly love her and appreciate all the help..
I’ve offered her collard greens, mustard greens, dandelions, rose petals, Timothy hay, water melon , strawberries and those fruit only to try to get her to eat, romaine and nothing

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
you will want to increase the time... give her a good warm soak for a minimum of 30 minutes. she may be blocked up and soaks have a way of getting everything moving.

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
you will want to increase the time... give her a good warm soak for a minimum of 30 minutes. she may be blocked up and soaks have a way of getting everything moving.
I’m just worried about how hot they can handle and so after ten it seems to get chilly. But I will so my best to let her soak for 30 tomorrow