Should I expect eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The three Gs

5 Year Member
Okay, so yesterday in Gamera's and Guess' terrarium, I saw Gamera doing the mating ritual thing for Red foot tortoises on Guess. Afterwards they both settled down and just rested and they kind of went back to before. So, should I be expecting eggs in a few months? I think they're both about 6 years old, and Guess isn't that big, maybe... 5 inches long and 3 inches wide? I'm not good at estimating, but I think that's about right. And when I first took Gamera and Guess to the vet for a check-up, the vet never said how old they were. They looked 4, and it has been 2 years since I got them, so I think they're around 6 years old. So, will Guess lay eggs?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
It depends on a wide variety of things. Is she big enough to be sexually mature? Is she comfortable enough in her environment to lay? If you say yes to both of those questions then I would set up a proper nesting sight if you haven't already. Tortoises can lay 30 days after mating but it could also take 6 months or more! I would say to just be prepared and get everything set up for her so when she's ready, you are too. Make sure she's properly hydrated and give her calcium supplements and the proper diet and then you just wait!
Look for signs that she is possibly gravid: charging around her enclosure (like she's on a mission) digging test holes and sometimes torts will stop eating right before they are due to lay but mine never do. Just some quick tips. Good Luck!!

The three Gs

5 Year Member
turtlelady80 said:
It depends on a wide variety of things. Is she big enough to be sexually mature? Is she comfortable enough in her environment to lay? If you say yes to both of those questions then I would set up a proper nesting sight if you haven't already. Tortoises can lay 30 days after mating but it could also take 6 months or more! I would say to just be prepared and get everything set up for her so when she's ready, you are too. Make sure she's properly hydrated and give her calcium supplements and the proper diet and then you just wait!
Look for signs that she is possibly gravid: charging around her enclosure (like she's on a mission) digging test holes and sometimes torts will stop eating right before they are due to lay but mine never do. Just some quick tips. Good Luck!!
Thanks!

The three Gs

5 Year Member
Guess also seems to be bathing and soaking up a bunch of water every day, really quickly too... sometimes even sleeping in the water bowl they have... is that normal?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Yeah sorry, I just noticed that your girl is under 6in. I'd agree that she's got some growing to do. It'll be awhile...but your day will come:) PATIENCE my friend

The three Gs

5 Year Member
Oh, I measured better, and Guess is about 8 in. But I'm still not sure. I'm gonna schedule a check-up for Gamera and Guess soon. Maybe I can see when we go to the vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.