should I leave them outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
when the temp is only 65-70 and cloudy? I have 4 Russians and would like to leave them outside more often but worry about it being to cold. I have a heated house with straw but so far I don't see them being smart enough to go in when its cold. I had them outside for 4 days while it was 75 to 90 the last while and each evening I had to find them and put them in the house for night time. They did stay in there with out having to block them in but I don't think they would go in on thier own. Which leads me to the question...should I leave them outside when its 65-70 and cloudy, what about a chance of rain? I have visions of them digging in and getting sick from being cold and or wet.
What do you all think? Opinions welcome please.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
torts4me said:
when the temp is only 65-70 and cloudy? I have 4 Russians and would like to leave them outside more often but worry about it being to cold. I have a heated house with straw but so far I don't see them being smart enough to go in when its cold. I had them outside for 4 days while it was 75 to 90 the last while and each evening I had to find them and put them in the house for night time. They did stay in there with out having to block them in but I don't think they would go in on thier own. Which leads me to the question...should I leave them outside when its 65-70 and cloudy, what about a chance of rain? I have visions of them digging in and getting sick from being cold and or wet.
What do you all think? Opinions welcome please.

well im not a pro i just started and i have 10 russians. i kept them indoors but just 2 weeks ago been sleeping outside. i think its ok to leave them out there, of course i have 2 dens where they all run to at night. or when it rains (i always make sure to put them in the dens at night). i think there animal side comes out when they're outside so they know how to survive. of course if its freezin they're comin inside.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I can understand your worry, they seem like such fragile creatures and we are in charge of their care. However, remember they are wild animals. Nature has taught them a lot of things about survival. If they get too cool (or hot), they should be going under objects and dirt to keep from being too cold/hot. In their natural habitat, there are days when it's cool and cloudy, they adapt their daily routine and survival. Just make sure you have places for them to hide out and escape the blunt of extreme weather.

As for the rain, often it seems being out in a rain shower makes them more energetic and alive.

Once they become familiar with your heated home for them, they usually are smart enough to head there when they need it. It may take a few times (some more and some less) of you physically placing them inside the house, but they will learn.

Relax. Let them be tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I always put my animals away at night. What they want to do with themselves during the day is ok, but if they don't go in the house at night I put them away. I gather them all up in late October and allow them to hibernate in a box on my covered carport, then they go back outside in about March. Here in Central Calif. the weather in March is in the 50's day and 40's night. I don't worry about the temp in March, as they are used to being cold, having just awakened from hibernating. If they get cold you see them propped up on the fence "taking the sun." Don't forget, if the weatherman says the temperature is 55 degrees, its probably warmer than that in the sun and out of the wind. If its going to rain before the weather warms up, I'll try to find all of them and block them inside their house to be sure they don't get wet.

Yvonne

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
alright, I feel better. Come Memorial day weekend they will be out all the time unless its gonna rain alot. I will just go out in the evening and check to see who is in the house and who is not. I will "let them be tortoises". Thank you all very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.