Should I soak?

elainelim

Hi guys, in preparation for my new pancakes I am wondering do they need weekly soaks if humidity in my area is usually at a 70-80%? I will prepare a large shallow water pan for them but because I am pretty new to torts, do I need to take them out and soak them weekly?

Thanks

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My "guess" would be yes, however, I don't know anything about the Pancake tortoise species. Let's ask @Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I can't see where soaking would cause an issue, other than the sped up transit time of foods in the gut tract. I don't soak mine, though I do see them self soaking once in a while. This could just be laziness on their parts and just laying in the water dish to drink.

elainelim

I can't see where soaking would cause an issue, other than the sped up transit time of foods in the gut tract. I don't soak mine, though I do see them self soaking once in a while. This could just be laziness on their parts and just laying in the water dish to drink.

Thanks for the input.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We've more than a few members here with pancakes. I'm not sure I'd recommend pancakes as a first time tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@cyan has a great group of pancakes with a good year for egg laying. So far she has one hatching that pipped. I'm sure it's different with the hatchlings probably good to soak and adults not so much. Let's see what she has to say too.

elainelim

We've more than a few members here with pancakes. I'm not sure I'd recommend pancakes as a first time tortoise.

Could you explain further? Husbandry requirements a lot harder than others? Or is there something else?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
'Cakes just seem to crash faster than other tortoises. I don't see any real reason for this, maybe it's just what I've seen here in the PNW. I've had no issues with mine. I find them to be hardy, but the “word on the street" is they can be rough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, in preparation for my new pancakes I am wondering do they need weekly soaks if humidity in my area is usually at a 70-80%? I will prepare a large shallow water pan for them but because I am pretty new to torts, do I need to take them out and soak them weekly?

Thanks

Where are you getting them? Are they adults or babies? WC or CB? This all matters in your soaking routine. Babies should be soaked daily. Older ones can be soaked less often, but new adults should be soaked every other day or so for the first couple of weeks at least.

Humidity in your area might be high most of the time, but humidity in your indoor enclosure with a heat lamp and in a house with air conditioning and heating will not be high. It will be very low. This is a problem. Closed chambers work the best to solve this problem. @cyan has some really nice ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
'I find them to be hardy, but the “word on the street" is they can be rough.

I'm going to speculate that this is in reference to all the WC ones. I've never had any problem with CB pancakes and neither has anyone I know that keeps them.

elainelim

Where are you getting them? Are they adults or babies? WC or CB? This all matters in your soaking routine. Babies should be soaked daily. Older ones can be soaked less often, but new adults should be soaked every other day or so for the first couple of weeks at least.

Humidity in your area might be high most of the time, but humidity in your indoor enclosure with a heat lamp and in a house with air conditioning and heating will not be high. It will be very low. This is a problem. Closed chambers work the best to solve this problem. @cyan has some really nice ones.
They will be outside, in my patio. Theres a roof for shade. And since the table will be on wheels, i will be able to roll them in and out of the sun. Ive been testing the area where im going to put them and the lowest humidity can get is 50%. With the subtrate and plants i think it'll probably be around 80. I tested by placing the meter in my grazing pen, which is a open top rubbermaid tote. Humidity was at 76% with minimal plants.

They are around 4 inches. I think they are wc.

elainelim

First thing I would do, once they are established and eating regularly at your place, is run a fecal on them.
Yes I will do that. I didn't ask the supplier if they were WC but I assume so. When he got them, there were quite a few and they were of similar sizes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? It will require a large and carefully temperature controlled environment to house them outdoors anywhere here in North America. Are you in a tropical country?

elainelim

Where are you? It will require a large and carefully temperature controlled environment to house them outdoors anywhere here in North America. Are you in a tropical country?
Yes I am. Malaysia :)