Should I use this any suggestion? (cream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Looks like some kind of lotion or cream ImageUploadedByTortForum1368220023.172505.jpg

My tortoise Peach hates apples

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
There are mixed opinions on vitashell on this forum. Type "vitashell" into the search bar and you'll see lots and lot of posts and debates about the stuff. Some folks say its great, others worry that it could cause health issues.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I go for the natural look. After 50 years of natural wear and tear, Joe looks great. He certainly doesn't need moisturisers to maintain film star looks.

haidao88

5 Year Member
So I ended up reading all about this on here lol and yea I'll keep my comment to myself but ask a bio chemical engineering Student previously, I went ahead and bought it =]

Everyone replies very fast on here

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
JoesMum said:
mctlong said:
JoesMum, Did you intend to attach that pic to your signature?

Nope. I have been got by the phantom sig pic

Its been floating around. Same pic. Its dissapeared from your sig now. Wierd.

Sorry haidao88, back to Vitashell. If you decide to use it, please tell us how your experience with it goes, positive or negative.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I read some of the threads on this a couple of weeks ago. Someone mentioned olive oil to be a nice alternative. I gave it a go on Shermann's shell and it makes it look so good. I only do it every couple of weeks or so though. I always use olive oil anyways in my cooking, so no added expense for me :)

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I currently have my tort dry docked to treat a mild fungal growth on his plastron, i put a touch of the vitashell on his carapace to keep it moist since hes not getting his soaks and misting for a couple weeks. Seemed reasonable to me, although i am a noob :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
TommyZ said:
I currently have my tort dry docked to treat a mild fungal growth on his plastron, i put a touch of the vitashell on his carapace to keep it moist since hes not getting his soaks and misting for a couple weeks. Seemed reasonable to me, although i am a noob :)

I'd suggest keeping the soaks for hydration. You can mist your tortoise as it soaks, take a rag and dry the plastron thoroughly afterward, and apply whatever topical ointment you're using to treat the rot. If s/he is in dry conditions constantly soaks will help keep your tort in tip-top shape.

As for the Vitashell, I don't use it but if you do please let us know how it works out for you. I occasionally use coconut oil for their heads in the winter when things get really dry here in the northeast. I use this sparingly and only when their heads are looking pretty dry.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Thanks madkins, I actually use the conditioner on my Peach after the soaks because I was scared of locking in bacteria and only use a very little amount using my finger tips. Glad to know I'm not doin harm

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Madkins has good advice as always. I've seen people talk down the idea of moisturizing shells, but no one ever seems to be able to provide evidence of such.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Should I use this any suggestion? (cream)

theelectraco said:
Tommyz. Keep up with the daily soaks.

Yep, will do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.