Should/When to give Calcium?

ASOBlueRose

My East Hermann is six months old and I currently feed him weeds that I pick from my garden (Clover, Dandelion, etc...) along with pellets that I mix in with his food. I also have a calcium block in his habitat however he doesn't pay any attention to it. He has a basking spot too with a UVB light in addition to that however I was wondering if I should get rid of the block and sprinkle a supplement on his food?

I've looked around the forum quite a lot about this, and I'm just scared he's not going to grow properly. His shell right now feels rather rough, not bumpy, his scutes feel rough, not like they're growing to a point or anything. I'm just wondering if this is normal for his age, if he'll grow out of it, if calcium will affect it, etc...

I'll be grateful for any response!

Oogway the russian tort

Calcium is good for them i suggest cuttle bone as it provides calcium and trims the beak; if your tort doesn't eat it then u can blend it up to make calcium powder.(you can find cuttle bone in the bird section in any petshop). Or you can make your own D.I.Y calcium using egg shells and boil them for 5-10 mins then let them completely dry over night and blend it and presto just sprinkle it on your tort food.

TiffytheTort

I use Calcidust. It's a powder form of calcium blocks and my tort likes it. Hope that helps