Shredding newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
Is it really sufficient for hibernation? Bella is going into the shed today.....she has had three large bowel movements, I'm gonna soak her today, make sure she is good and dry and put her in her box......some say dirt, some say shredded newspaper, IF shredded paper is good....it would be so much easier.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use shredded newspaper...have for over 30 years.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Thank you...I was waiting for a reply. I will put whole newspaper on the bottom then all shredded (a lot?) I have quite a lot shredded and then some whole sheets on top? Should the shredded be a whole lot...packed tight

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put a whole Sunday paper for the floor (unshredded), then the tortoise, then shred a bunch until the box is full. I close the lid flaps over, locking them in place. I like to use cardboard boxes because any moisture that might develop from the tortoises breathing evaporates and doesn't make the box humid like a plastic box does.

Then you put the box someplace quiet and cool and someplace where if he should happen to dig out of the box he won't fall and get hurt. But not directly on the cold cement floor.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Thanks....that's pretty much what i was gonna do.....but i think I'm gonna put the smaller box in a big one, there will be about five inches all the way around in case she dig out

Status
Not open for further replies.