Russian Tortoise Hibernation

Chompy

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Getting ready to put my RT into hibernation today for first time. Have done a month of research and I thank everyone. I am going to use the method from the blog The Hibernation Journey and use my fridge crisper. I bought a sensor push thermometer so i can monitor her from my phone, set temo to 42, fasted her for almost 3 weeks, Soaks every other day till 3 days ago, gradually lower temps till 50s today.

I'm going to measure and weigh her before putting her in and then monitor her weight weekly. I'm using the Donoghue Ratio to determine her weight is adequate. Using shredded newspaper as substrate. Bought a mix of coconut chips, coconut fiber and calcium (jungle bedding), but afraid a third of bag is too fine. Thoughts?

Anything I'm missing? Was going to do one more soak but don't want to raise her temp. Thoughts?

Thank you for all of your help. Love this forum.

Laney

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that blog; can you provide a link?

My tortoise is outside and sets her own wind down schedule but I don’t soak in in the last few days before she goes into her fridge. It wouldn’t hurt her but given that I’ve seen her take exactly one sip of water in three years, I don’t see much benefit. It also stimulates her activity level, as you’ve noted it might.

I’m not sure I understand how you are using substrate. A mix of newspaper and the other? A layer of each? We’re all different, some use newspaper, some use shredded fir bark; I use coconut coir, a little messy but it works for me. She’d be happiest in plain dirt but that’s too messy!

I’m pretty sure someone will tell you not to use a mix that itentionally includes calcium. It encourages tortoises to eat their substrate. I won’t swear to it, as I’ve not personally used such a product.

My tortoises loses the most weight, such as it is, in the first week or so, because she’s still moving around and burning energy. This made me nuts the first year, thinking she’d keep that weight loss at the same rate all winter. Now I know better.