This is getting SO old

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
HIBERNATION!!!!! I love her and every winter I worry for her......I have had her for about 5 years now and i am still confused with it every year. Right now in Winslow, it's in the 70s during the day and low 30s at night....one day this week...it will be 32. I've been bringing her in at night.....My plan is to put her in a box with a mixture of dirt and Be-A-Beast.....newspaper on top and put her in the shed where she will be dry and I can check on her regularly.......but WHEN? When do I stop feeding her? what should day time temps be before boxing her?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ideally 2 weeks before hibernating, so she can clean out her intestines. You want them to go into hibernation with an empty stomach and a full bladder. I would continue to feed, or if she is outside she should stop on her own, once the weather starts staying cool.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with at least 2 weeks from last feeding to putting her into her brumation digs....

Also, here when the days temps are consistently below 60 and the night temps are at high 30s to low forties then the boys (CDTs) come in for their rest...

Right now it is kinda peeking at the weather for week ahead to kinda see what is coming and that also dictates here when any supplemental food is offered....last year I stopped feeding and had them in by Nov1...this year the temps show that is not necessarily going to be what the schedule will be here...

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Does it really stay consistently cold enough in Arizona for her to properly hibernate? Never been there, so it is a genuine question :D

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
CourtneyAndCarl -----I'm in "northern " Arizona. Average is 10F for a low, but last year we had tree snows and it a couple of days below freezing...so yes, it does. Our days are in the 70s and nights low 30s.......I bring her in at night. She is slowing down on her eating...one day she does and the next she won't. How do make sure the bladder is full? I've had her for about 5 years and never heard that before....not even on here

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
LadyV said:
How do make sure the bladder is full? I've had her for about 5 years and never heard that before....not even on here

Just regular soaks during this time, even 2-3x per week (which you might not need to do as much, or even at all, when they are outside in the summer).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Once she stops eating daily soaks through the 2 week period before hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.