Shy Russian??

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I picked up a long term captive 7" female.... I kept her segregated for a few days to make sure she ate.. And she did voraciously. Then I moved out into the pens ..She immediately found the hide entered .. After a few days I removed him from the hide and blocked the entrance..she laid out for a while and in the evening when I opened the hide she went back in.. Today she once again refused to exit the hide.. Not sure how to handle her.. Should I take her out of the hide every morning..or should I just leave her be and let her come out on her own? How long can she go without eating before it becomes an issue?

Thoughts opinions..any help would be appreciated..

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
Are the temps outside warm enough? (Similar to her accustomed inside temps?)
And is this the first time outside? ( I got the impression she's been captive indoors?)
Perhaps just the stress of new environment, and she will acclimate.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I have a leopard that does this. I let her do her thing. She comes out to eat and lay eggs. Causes me a great deal of anxiety as well though. I know some take them out in the morning. I would give her time to adjust and feel safe before tough love.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
She's from California.. Got her last week.. I'm told she was part of a larger group thats been together for about 8 yrs.... He told me they have been outdoors there entire life.... He did tell me that they lived in burrows on his property.... When I asked him what he fed them he said they ate what grew in his yard....

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Are the temps outside warm enough? (Similar to her accustomed inside temps?)
And is this the first time outside? ( I got the impression she's been captive indoors?)
Perhaps just the stress of new environment, and she will acclimate.

Inside she was in lg rubber made tote.. With a 275watt megaray bulb .. She spent a lot of time under the light....Her shell temp was 98* a few times.. She only ate when I left the room.... The outside enclosure temps have been 80-88* hide temps 76-80*