Shy Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
Hi guys!! So I adopted a Sulcata from a forum member last Friday (as I've already said) and He/she is very shy. Which I expected sense he spent a few hours in the car and a whole change in enclosures and stuff. I figure it was just stress, but he eats all his food and walks around his enclosure, as soon as I walk in the room he closes up tight. So it seems like he didn't have much human interaction. Not sure if this is just a Sulcata thing or if I just need to take it nice an slow with him. My three Redfoots Love human interaction from the day they came home, so I wasn't quite used to this. Thanks :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, take it nice and slow. He doesn't know you won't eat him. Move slowly, try not to startle and talk to him. He will come around, just give him some time.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
wellington said:
Yes, take it nice and slow. He doesn't know you won't eat him. Move slowly, try not to startle and talk to him. He will come around, just give him some time.

Will do! Thanks :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old and how big? This is pretty common for small ones. They usually snap out of it within a few months. Hand feeding some colorful tasty treats can help bring them around too. Females tend to be this way more than males, but there are certainly exceptions.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
Tom said:
How old and how big? This is pretty common for small ones. They usually snap out of it within a few months. Hand feeding some colorful tasty treats can help bring them around too. Females tend to be this way more than males, but there are certainly exceptions.

S/he is about 5-6 inches long. Haven't got an accurate measurement because I don't want to stress her more than she already is. Not sure on age, I want to say around 3 or 4. The member that I adopted from had adopted her prior to that so the actual age hasn't been kept track of.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My sulcata was the same way. It took about a month for her to come around. But every time I went near her I would call her name and talk to her. She let's me do pretty much anything to her now. Yours will come around.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
mainey34 said:
My sulcata was the same way. It took about a month for her to come around. But every time I went near her I would call her name and talk to her. She let's me do pretty much anything to her now. Yours will come around.

Thank you!! That is very comforting :) I have been trying to talk to her and now I'll try the name thing as well. Thanks!

MnM10

5 Year Member
danosaurous said:
Thank you!! That is very comforting :) I have been trying to talk to her and now I'll try the name thing as well. Thanks!

I talk to mine all the time s/he just stares at me sometimes walks to me and sniffs me to see I I have food lol. But it's true they take a bit to adjust mine took just about a month after I got him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.