SHY TURTLE

marc3772

Location (City and/or State)
fountain valley
hi my neighbor found a box shell turtle about 7 inches and nobody claimed it so I ended up adopting it. I filled a kids pool full of dirt and a water area and a curved log with shade and a heater at the bottom of the dirt, The turtle stays buried for days and I have to constantly pull him up to eat. He eats his worms and fruit but as soon as he is done he goes and buries himself again and stays there until next time I feed him. He doesnt swim, get sun or get water.He seems healthy but only stays on the surface for about 10 minutes until next feeding. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to make him more active? His pen is outside so he can walk or get sun if he wants..If i put him on the grass ion the lawn he is fast and walks around the yard. Any suggestions?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
hi my neighbor found a box shell turtle about 7 inches and nobody claimed it so I ended up adopting it. I filled a kids pool full of dirt and a water area and a curved log with shade and a heater at the bottom of the dirt, The turtle stays buried for days and I have to constantly pull him up to eat. He eats his worms and fruit but as soon as he is done he goes and buries himself again and stays there until next time I feed him. He doesnt swim, get sun or get water.He seems healthy but only stays on the surface for about 10 minutes until next feeding. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to make him more active? His pen is outside so he can walk or get sun if he wants..If i put him on the grass ion the lawn he is fast and walks around the yard. Any suggestions?
They hide a lot.
Especially of he's in unfamiliar surroundings.
It may be a wild tortoise, completely scared and confused.
Is there shade? It could also be that he is uncomfortable from the heat.
(I can't tell were you are)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Box turtles are not native to California, so chances are very good he's an escaped pet. I'd like to see a picture of the turtle just to be positive he really is a box turtle. It would be best if you made a regular pen in the yard for the turtle instead of the pool. Choose a spot that has lots of shade and plantings, with a bit of full sun, but not a whole bunch. He also needs a waterer that he can go into. We have many examples of outdoor box turtle enclosures for you to get ideas from in either the enclosure section or in the box turtle section.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Box turtles hide a lot. it is how they survive in nature. They prefer a water source they can soak in, and a deep area to dig down. A lot of plants to hide under.

marc3772

fountain valley
hi I am in California and the temps are about low 60s to 80s . I made a pen with dirt and peat moss for him to dig and a place to hide under a curved tree from a turtle supplier, a small pool and a drinking source in the middle. The pen gets sun as it is outside but he is buried 24 hrs a day. He doesnt come out at all until I take him out to eat worms and fruits. He has a good appetite but doesnt even get a drink or walk around. He immediately buries himself again until I pull him out a few days later to eat again. Am I doing things wrong? what can I do to get him to come out and get some sun? thanks..

20190518_164142.jpg 17515.jpeg 20190623_111355.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
He needs a lot of plants to hide under, and it's no wonder he is digging down. That is too hot in the sun. Needs more shade. He needs a place to soak in.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
You
hi I am in California and the temps are about low 60s to 80s . I made a pen with dirt and peat moss for him to dig and a place to hide under a curved tree from a turtle supplier, a small pool and a drinking source in the middle. The pen gets sun as it is outside but he is buried 24 hrs a day. He doesnt come out at all until I take him out to eat worms and fruits. He has a good appetite but doesnt even get a drink or walk around. He immediately buries himself again until I pull him out a few days later to eat again. Am I doing things wrong? what can I do to get him to come out and get some sun? thanks..

View attachment 276955 View attachment 276956 View attachment 276957
You have a three toed box turtle you probably knew that. Your going to need a bigger enclosure, plants plants and more plants. Also water dish she can get into. I also live in CA same type if weather. My three toeds all have early sun, shade , late sun, with patches if sun. I planted a lot if plants and let then grow out. Hides are also needed as box turtles love to hide and be pretty lazy mid day. They are also shy by nature. Good luck with yours !

Kyle

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Plants, plants, plants. Your boxie feels threatened and is afraid of being something’s next dinner. Here in MD, Eastern Box Turtles are found in heavily wooded, semi-marshy, grassy areas, feasting on worms and slugs and fruit matter that they find in their travels. In hot Summer, in the boggy, wet areas. So, your tort is missing a lot of that and is afraid. Id remove the heating pad too, and soak and let him swim about daily.

Good luck.