sick baby

max strate

I think this poor baby needs a vet i think he might have.an bacteria infection someone else had this issue recently and there baby passed away
out of curiosity how do I go about testing for a bacterial infection on a tortoise when we don't have a fecal to test

max strate

I have to share! Took her to the vet today. She got a vitamin b shot to hopefully stimulate appetite. I cranked to heat up again to about 100 in the basking area. She's eating!!! Long way to go. But a big step in the right direction! Thanks so much to everyone here. She is making g progress because of the help from you. Thanks so much!!

phebe121

Glad to hear hes eatting to get a sample the vet might have to swab the inside or a blood sample i would think

max strate

another update. She's doing much better! got ointment for her eyes. had a vet tell me to increase greens with vitamin A. He has seen that tortoises that do not want to open their eyes very much have a vitamin A deficiency. Eating enough that we were able to get a fecal. Amazing how you can get it so excited over a little bit of tortoise poop! So we are in the process of treating her for that. On top of that she also has a respiratory infection. Been sneezing and blowing little snot bubbles. So now I have an antibiotic for that. Attached is a new picture of her that you can see he's looking better. Also a few pics of her and close one with the lid on so you can see the entire inside. the other with how it normally is with the lid on the enclosure. pics are of the day time setup. At night the heat light is turned off and a UVB bulb is replaced with a night glow bulb that just emits heat.the respiratory infection has me a little confused. Could this have been something that she had when I got her? And just now showing signs? Today makes a week that we have had her. Or have I done something to cause this from the way I have her set up

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
My leopards really love purple heart wandering jew the color and the flavor they love i hope he does better i really do
Can sulcatas eat that too? I have two of them (the plants, only one sulcata) and they are growing out of control, but i couldn't find it on any of the safe lists.

max strate

I am wrong person to ask on that. Hopefully somebody else sees your post and replies. it may also be one of these plans that goes by a different name as well

phebe121

Can sulcatas eat that too? I have two of them (the plants, only one sulcata) and they are growing out of control, but i couldn't find it on any of the safe lists.

Yes lepords and sulcatas have almost the same care im sure they would love it

phebe121

Excellent! I know what somebody is getting for befast tomorrow!

The best thing about the plant is it only take about 7 days to grow back what u.cut off also can make starts of this plant and put some in there enclosure they will love it

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
can make starts of this plant and put some in there enclosure they will love it
I have done that so many times! I have given them to anyone who would take them and the last few times I trimmed them up I just threw all the bits away because I just don't have room for more or know anyone who wants anymore!

phebe121

I have done that so many times! I have given them to anyone who would take them and the last few times I trimmed them up I just threw all the bits away because I just don't have room for more or know anyone who wants anymore!

Well now your tort can enjoy them i love the plant my torts have some.in there.encloser and they eat it down to a nub i take it out for a week and they have a fresh plant

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Max- you are seriously kicking some butt! Its really inspiring to see how much dedication you have to helping your new babies. I wanted to remind you that your little one seems very very young and that they do sleep ALL the time. I have a hyoooge 12 year old and he is awake walking around all day so when I got my baby I was really scared something was wrong. One thing I did with my big guy who was not on the right diet was to add the healthy good food to the not so good for him food so that I could wean him down to good food only. Another food they like is zucchini. I think this is in the care sheets,etc but here is a great resource for making sure what you're feeding is OK http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

Anyways- you really made my night. Following this thread and seeing someone so passionate about saving a life really is amazing. You're doing such a great job!!

Karen

max strate

I would like to personally thank everybody for their information and help on our sick little rescue.we have done vitamin shots antibiotics and dewormers. she was in an enclosure that stayed at an 80 percent humidity coolest and of the enclosure was 80 degrees hot and was a hundred. she got to eating better but we could not get her to keep her eyes open. over the past couple days she just kept acting more lethargic and she passed away during the night last night. my conclusion was she what had been too dehydrated for too long before we got her probably had kidney issues that she could just not recover from. Again I thank everyone for all their help and information. all 7 of our other sulcatas are doing great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so very sorry for your loss!