sick baby

max strate

that is what I have been wondering myself. Another thing that is come to mind after reading almost every post on this site lol. is I wonder if the move from the other location to my home and a new enclosure where I am able to increase the humidity has stressed her out a lot.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
That temp is not correct from that temp in a glass. Light hits the glass and make it really hotter than it really is sad about the baby. Hope he gets better

max strate

That temp is not correct from that temp in a glass. Light hits the glass and make it really hotter than it really is sad about the baby. Hope he gets better
thanks for the input on that thermometer. I wanted to get a digital 1 but we not have any descent pet stores in our area and I have one on order. I figured that would help me at least ballpark it tell the other came in.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi where are you located? If we know country/state people can help you with ideas on feeding. I am one person that recently lost a tortoise. He had been kept improperly before I got him and had to be put to sleep because of liver failure. Please separate the two. Get the baby on a moist substrate, with heat , humidity and uvb. Look around you home. I bet there are things you can use for a separate enclosure. Look at the enclosures threads there are great ideas. Read the care sheets, ask questions. People here are great and will help you. Please take the advice given. Good luck.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
thanks for the input on that thermometer. I wanted to get a digital 1 but we not have any descent pet stores in our area and I have one on order. I figured that would help me at least ballpark it tell the other came in.
Do you have Wal-Mart or hardware stores? This is where you buy pet things:) pet stores are very overpriced

max strate

Hi where are you located? If we know country/state people can help you with ideas on feeding. I am one person that recently lost a tortoise. He had been kept improperly before I got him and had to be put to sleep because of liver failure. Please separate the two. Get the baby on a moist substrate, with heat , humidity and uvb. Look around you home. I bet there are things you can use for a separate enclosure. Look at the enclosures threads there are great ideas. Read the care sheets, ask questions. People here are great and will help you. Please take the advice given. Good luck.
I live in indiana and I to recently to go on these 2 from someone who is not knowledgeable about how to take care of them. They are in separate enclosures now. The larger 1 seems to be doing fine I have them balls on a bed of moist peat moss.do not have UVB bulbs yet but they have been ordered and are on the way. Making sure the temperature stay around one hundred and one end of the enclosure.

max strate

I live in indiana and I to recently to go on these 2 from someone who is not knowledgeable about how to take care of them. They are in separate enclosures now. The larger 1 seems to be doing fine I have them balls on a bed of moist peat moss.do not have UVB bulbs yet but they have been ordered and are on the way. Making sure the temperature stay around one hundred and one end of the enclosure.
I need to watch how my voice recognition interpret what I say lol. I acquired two tortoises from someone who was not knowledgeable about the animal. I have them BOTH on moist peat moss

phebe121

Im not sure if they whould get this stressed out but i really hope this little one pulls threw

max strate

unfortunately she is not doing any better today. Have not been able to get her to eat anything at all. I need your help guys. What can I do to get this little one to eat?at this point I have tried hey that I have soaked in warm water,collard greens, canned pumpkin, fresh baby spring greens,and baby food. The most I have seen her do is take one bite of canned pumpkin. Have not seen a bowel movement since I have gotten her this past Saturday and today is Wednesday. previous owners had her on wood chips with just a heat lamp. No UVB. now she is on a bed of warm peat moss. Has access to a shallow walk in water bowl and a extra humid hide area of her enclosure. yesterday she sat in her little humid hot most of the day then evening she spent under her heat lamp. And last night under her nighttime heat lamp. But as I said I cannot get her to eat or have a bowel movement. She is soaked twice a day for about 20-30 minutes

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
unfortunately she is not doing any better today. Have not been able to get her to eat anything at all. I need your help guys. What can I do to get this little one to eat?at this point I have tried hey that I have soaked in warm water,collard greens, canned pumpkin, fresh baby spring greens,and baby food. The most I have seen her do is take one bite of canned pumpkin. Have not seen a bowel movement since I have gotten her this past Saturday and today is Wednesday. previous owners had her on wood chips with just a heat lamp. No UVB. now she is on a bed of warm peat moss. Has access to a shallow walk in water bowl and a extra humid hide area of her enclosure. yesterday she sat in her little humid hot most of the day then evening she spent under her heat lamp. And last night under her nighttime heat lamp. But as I said I cannot get her to eat or have a bowel movement. She is soaked twice a day for about 20-30 minutes

Try giving her romaine lettuce mixed with mazuri.

max strate

Try giving her romaine lettuce mixed with mazuri.
okay I will do that. I do not have any Mazuri right now unfortunately live in a bad area for finding reptile supplies I have to order almost everything with that said I do have some on order. When it comes in should I give it to her hard or is it better to soak it.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
okay I will do that. I do not have any Mazuri right now unfortunately live in a bad area for finding reptile supplies I have to order almost everything with that said I do have some on order. When it comes in should I give it to her hard or is it better to soak it.

You should soak it, right now since she isn't eating at all see is offering her plain romaine lettuce will entice her. When you get mazuri, mix some up with the romaine lettuce.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to find out what the tortoises are used to seeing as 'food.' You can offer this just to get the baby eating again, then you can SLOWLY, over time, introduce the better diet all the while reducing the old food until you've got the baby eating good stuff.

In the mean time, the baby food soaks are in order. Buy several jars of Gerber strained carrots or squash. Using a small bowl with tall sides, add a half jar of baby food and enough warm water to bring the level up to the middle of the baby's sides. Leave him soaking in this fluid for at least a half hour, and longer is even better. You can position a light over the side of the bowl, not directly over the tortoise, otherwise you'll cook him. You should start to see an improvement in the eyes in three days. Once his eyes are open he'll start eating again.

max strate

Try to find out what the tortoises are used to seeing as 'food.' You can offer this just to get the baby eating again, then you can SLOWLY, over time, introduce the better diet all the while reducing the old food until you've got the baby eating good stuff.

In the mean time, the baby food soaks are in order. Buy several jars of Gerber strained carrots or squash. Using a small bowl with tall sides, add a half jar of baby food and enough warm water to bring the level up to the middle of the baby's sides. Leave him soaking in this fluid for at least a half hour, and longer is even better. You can position a light over the side of the bowl, not directly over the tortoise, otherwise you'll cook him. You should start to see an improvement in the eyes in three days. Once his eyes are open he'll start eating again.
one of the first things I did was talk with the person I had gotten her from to address that. And she said leafy greens is what she fed it. and strawberries. I'm sure I can get her to eat a strawberry but I want to stay away from that if I possibly can. thinking about going to the store and getting some different greens and just keep trying different ones till she seems to show interest.Almost never opens her eyes.

max strate

thanks again to all my new friends here on this site. I can't thank you enough for all the help you have given me. I feel like a constant nuisance asking all these questions but I'm determined to do what it takes to get this little one better.
so with that said here is an update yesterday afternoon she finally ate a little bit of carrot baby food. I spot maybe the size of a quarter. Today she looks and acts a little better. Took her to the vet and they gave her a vitamin B injection hoping to help stimulate appetite. Since she is not eating and not having a bowel movement it is hard to find out if she has any parasites or not.. Her food selection now consist of hay,fresh spring greens, romaine, kale, collard greens, canned pumpkin, and carrot baby food. I soak her twice a day and then I have moved her little water ball closer to her heat lamp to help keep the water warm and she has been soaking in that on her own. She's also on a bed of moist peat moss. three fourths of the enclosure has a lid. Temperature in the hot end stays pretty close to 100 degrees. can somebody please tell me what I am forgetting or overlooking. Or even doing wrong. I am assuming that there is no way to force feed a tortoise if they are not willing to eat. Thanks again for everything that everyone has been doing to help so far

phebe121

My leopards really love purple heart wandering jew the color and the flavor they love i hope he does better i really do