Sick Hermann’s

amrkizer2

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi. I got a Hermann’s tortoise back in February (unsure of age, about 4” length). It has always been very quiet/inactive but has still moved around the enclosure and was eating and drinking fine. Yesterday it stopped moving completely and stopped eating and drinking. I am constantly thinking it is dead, but then every so often it will move it’s legs or open it’s eyes. I have called a few different reptile stores and have been suggested vitamin/calcium deficiency, something wrong with my lightbulb, temperature too high, etc. I am trying to get it to eat and take some calcium (I have powder, but am trying to find a liquid), but it refuses. I changed my bulb and raised the lamp to lower temp from 98 to 95 degrees. Have tried soaking. Normally feed a diet of spring mix and Mazuri. I have 4 other Hermann’s, have had my oldest for almost 10 years and raised 2 from hatchlings and 1 from an egg, so I’m not sure what is happening, have had no issues before. Any suggestions or ideas what the problem could be? Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. I got a Hermann’s tortoise back in February (unsure of age, about 4” length). It has always been very quiet/inactive but has still moved around the enclosure and was eating and drinking fine. Yesterday it stopped moving completely and stopped eating and drinking. I am constantly thinking it is dead, but then every so often it will move it’s legs or open it’s eyes. I have called a few different reptile stores and have been suggested vitamin/calcium deficiency, something wrong with my lightbulb, temperature too high, etc. I am trying to get it to eat and take some calcium (I have powder, but am trying to find a liquid), but it refuses. I changed my bulb and raised the lamp to lower temp from 98 to 95 degrees. Have tried soaking. Normally feed a diet of spring mix and Mazuri. I have 4 other Hermann’s, have had my oldest for almost 10 years and raised 2 from hatchlings and 1 from an egg, so I’m not sure what is happening, have had no issues before. Any suggestions or ideas what the problem could be? Thanks!
I am sure you will soon get some valuable help from our experts here, hang on and good luck. They may ask for pictures..and more details about the enclosures and any recent changes etc.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello all our experts.....help is needed here!

Amrkizer2 can we get some photos?