Sick sulcata and a healthy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anything

5 Year Member
I am in Fort Wayne indiana. I bought two sulcattas in October of last year. One a year old and the other 7 months(at least that's what I was told) I bought them for my wife who is a turtle an tortoise lover. We have had a lot of issues which left me with them. Now I split my time in between two apartments, and they have not been getti g the care they need. I started off with the best intentions reading this forum for guidance, but my job and school takes all my time. My setup is not bad. I have taken a lot of ideas I to consideration. Temperature fluctuates at times but is mostly high 100+ and never below 70. They are both in the Sam enclosure. If anything the sick one, the smaller one, would get in front of the big one during feedi g and try to bother him. I have a solar glow exo terra 125 w bulb for main light and an oft light as a secondary running light at times. Substrate is coco noir. I had been developing my solution to keep them moist which can be hard in a winter climate because humidity is sparse indoors. I'll share what I have been working on because it is pretty cool and I'm a tech guy. It's a cheap eBay item, an ionizer mister thing that creates a fog and pours out of a cup. With some fine tuning and timers setup, it is by far the cheapest solution that can be constructed. I can divulge all of my notes and plans to this community because, I'm sort of proud of it. I'm sorta a forum lurker and rarely post on any. Especially due to time constraints.
Well, here I am . My littlest , kimmie is sick. I haven't really noticed because I come to my apartment early in the morning. Check on them, change the water and make sure it's fresh. The thing that holds the water is a easy to climb over stone enclosure little thing. They have no issues accessing. After work , I basically checks up on them and feed them. There diet consists of a collard green and grass hay mix. I just started adding kale last week. After I set them up with food, I put them on a timer and leave. Repeat in the morning. Soakings? I tried to be as regular as I could, but lately not as much. The mister? I hadn't been able to to run it, because without tweaking the design it will only work for twenty minutes before the water is gone.

I know I'm rambling. I just want as much info out as possible. As far as I can tell. She has been getting more sluggish recently. I suspected she was but wasn't sure until yesterday and today. Soaking here yesterday. She would not even care to raise her head out of water. When I would pull her out she would open her eyes. For a little. She has not been moving for where she has been all day, not eating. Today. I thought a little soaking might revitalize, but she was even worse. I haven't seen her eyes. Any help? I want to take her in but I work all day. Is any ody close to Fort Wayne, IN? I will pay to have her looked at. Basically, I am looking to give the both of them up, but things are looking dire for the little one. The older one is bigger. She'll is not smooth. The beginning stages of pyramiding. That's how I got him. But he is beautiful and vibrant. Big eyes , eats like a champ. She isn't responding to food now. I say boy and girl, but we really always just assumed. Her shell is soft. I didn't realize it was a bad thing until readi g a little more, and I still am not sure what it means. She still looks like a baby. What can I do. Can anybody take it from here ? She wanted me to keep them and I told her I shouldn't. I did though. Against my best judgement. I really feel so terrible. So... Any questions or ideas. I want to send her to the vet, but don't get home till 5 tomorrow. And can't send them anywhere tonight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anything, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd be willing to bet that the little one isn't eating. If you don't stand there and watch them when you put in the food, chances are pretty good it isn't eating and that's why its getting sluggish and weak. I don't know as a vet visit will help you. What the tortoises need is more attention. I'm not coming down on you. I know that sometimes life gets in the way. Is there anyone you can ask to care for the tortoises that can give them more attention than you have available at this time?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am so sorry about this. The little one just never grew and now her shell is soft. It's not looking good for the poor little one. When you soaked did you just use plain water? Or something like one with baby food in it?

There are some Vet's who work later hours (atleast on certain days) have you checked on that? I wish I were closer and could run over and give you and them a hand. :(

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I would keep her warm and dry for the evening and keep a uvb bulb on her until a vet can see her.Try soaking in a mixture of water and baby food as was mentioned earlier.Good luck with her.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
The big one could be bullying the little one. Tortoises do much better on their own. I would separate them so the other does not get sick if the little one is sick.

By the way your set up sounds great! I'd love to see pics. I hope you can find a way to give them each their own set ups. Good luck and keep us posted.

Anything

5 Year Member
I have an appointment at 3 today. I don't think that she was eating, and now she doesn't respond to food. What kind of baby food? Carrot?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Anything said:
I have an appointment at 3 today. I don't think that she was eating, and now she doesn't respond to food. What kind of baby food? Carrot?

So glad to hear that! I like the carrot one the best, but squash works okay too. Also get some pedialyte (which is also for babies, so you will find it in the same part of the grocery store) and add in some of that. Good luck at the appt and keep us all posted. As was said above, she needs to be by herself because if he wasn't bullying her before he will now as she can't "fight" back in any way, even if he isn't doing in on purpose.

Anything

5 Year Member
I have put her in her soak bath. She moved her position from where I left her in the morning. I have warm water mixed with pedal yet and carrot juice. Her eyes are open and head tucked in shell. Her nose is comfortably above the water as I am monitoring. It doesn't appear that she has swallowed any yet. That's my update.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually perhaps a bit better then I was figuring we would hear. :D Even if she does not drink any (or atleast any you see) she can still be absorbing some of it. I am so anxious for the Vet visit, I sorta feel like these two guys are mine. :rolleyes: I am getting very emotionally invested in them. So glad you are doing the soak and the Vet visit!!

Anything

5 Year Member
Bad news , she didn't make it. She might have died after the bath. She never moved on the ride. The vet was poking and prodding her and pushed in on her belly really deep. I was shocked and pissed. I'm sure if she was not dead, she was dead after that. I'm sad and very upset with myself. "Biggie " however is very vibrant, and I'll do everything I can to keep him healthy and get him big so he can be a lifelong buddy. I will take some pictures of the enclosure setup and make a new post. I do have a question. For those of you that have successfully stopped pyramiding. Is it truly directly attributed to the humidity. What percentage of the day is their shell actually moist looking due to humidity. How long are they in the humid box a day. I don't have a humid box, but the fog pours out and moves around the enclosure. It's more humid and foggy in the corner I put the fogged in. When I run this and spray the shell, the shell stays moist pretty much as long as the fogger is on.
Thank you everybody for your wisdom sharing and concern. I should have noticed the downward spiral, and it really sucks. I will however take care of Biggie the best I can.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I am so sorry for your loss of your littlest one :(

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am really sorry for your loss. I would pay very close attention to your other tortoise for a week or so to make sure he isn't exhibiting signs of illness.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I was wondering the same thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.