sick tortoise,news flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Fantastic news guys my little girl is eating, I put a soft strawberry in with some watercress and shes eating the strawberry, I know she shouldnt be fed that but better than nothing, and its worked before on other sick torts to get them feeding again.Will keep you all posted.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Would it be very naughty if i didnt tell the owner about her eating?, He doesnt really want her. He asked me if her treatment was going to be expensive,if so he would just get another from his uncle and if she dies could he have her back to use her shell as an ashtray.I just think that if she gets thro this she will soon be back with me for something else.What do you guys think?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
bikerchicspain said:
Would it be very naughty if i didnt tell the owner about her eating?, He doesnt really want her. He asked me if her treatment was going to be expensive,if so he would just get another from his uncle and if she dies could he have her back to use her shell as an ashtray.I just think that if she gets thro this she will soon be back with me for something else.What do you guys think?

I can't help you with the answer but I think I would keep her, but then I would tell myself that if the guy does not take her back he will adopt another one. I can't believe people like that have pets, it makes me so angry!! Can you explain to him how to take care of a tortoise, can you bring him a caresheet and help him to set up a a good enclosure and let him know what he should feed her, or the guy just does not care?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
People like that cant be educated, I know that if i dont give her back he will just get another. Or worse still he could demand her back and leave her to die. I see so many people daily that havent got a clue about reptile care especially torts and turtles.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
bikerchicspain said:
People like that cant be educated, I know that if i dont give her back he will just get another. Or worse still he could demand her back and leave her to die. I see so many people daily that havent got a clue about reptile care especially torts and turtles.

So frustrating!!! Poor girl, she will do better and after she will go back to this crazy guy :(. Did you try to talk to him and let him know that this is because she did not receive good care that she is like that?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
He did have another that died 2 days before he brought me Miya (ive just named her) he did show me him, he was frozen, on his way to be made into an ashtray.I did tell him then that the majority of Torts die before the age of 4 due to the owners ignorance, I also made it clear that Miya is ill due to his neglect and indifference. But he just said that his uncle has about 50 so if she dies he will just get another and so and so.

M

Maggie Cummings

First let me say I have never been one for following the rules. So I have 2 answers for you. After having her and rehabbing her and bringing her back to health, I wouldn't want her to go back to that jerk. If this guy doesn't come to your house simply tell him she didn't make it and he'd never learn you lied.
I would also tell him that you won't take anymore of his sick animals...

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I know your right maggie, but if i tell him shes dead he will want her shell, and i cant tell him i wont treat any more of his torts because if i dont treat them he will just leave them to die, Maybe im just to soft.I think i will just ask him outright if i can have her..will keep you posted..

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tell him you forgot he wanted her back if she died and you incenerated her remains which is common protocal for decised animals. I doubt he would just let you have her. Or you could tell him you had to drop a good deal of money into getting her up to par like $200 and that if he couldnt pay that then you would gladly just keep the tort and call it even.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Is there someone you could report him to like SPCA, for Animal cruelty? If not I like making the cost high enough he will give her to you. Or maybe she just got out and got away :) ? Sometimes torts are sneaky like that. ;)
Unfortunately I feel if you keep taking his sick torts and rehabilitating them he will just keep them in the same environment. Give him a care sheet every time you see him. Let him know he is not taking proper care of them. Even if he throws it away at least you tried. And if you do not take care of them when they are sick your heart will not be broken when you have to give them back to someone who honestly seems not to care. Is it better for a tort to live in terrible conditions get sick then get nursed back to health and be given back only to be put back into those same conditions and die anyway? Education is the only solution if any of his torts are to have a chance. Please, Please, don't give up trying to educate this person. Even chipping away at a big rock will eventually make progress thou it may be slow.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Why the h*ll would he want it back KNOWING he isnt caring for it properly and its HIS fault its sick?!?!?! I hate Stupid people.
Tell him she died at the vet and they disposed of her, report him if he gets another to Animal Control or SPCA BUT be sure they know what to look for, bacause sadly.. lots dont..
and try to find out who or where his uncle is so you can have a welfare check done on his place as well. However HE may NOT be the problem...
At least he knew enough to get help for this one...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Better yet, tell him she died at the vet and tell him the bill was X number of dollars and when can you expect to receive the $$$ from him??

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
People like that make me so angry. It's like the person who has a dog chained in the yard and throws out food once a day. "What they get fed and have water" No shelter, no attention, those people should be smacked around, chained up and treated like property.
Ok I feel better now I vented.
Keep her and tell him she was disposed of by the vet. Then severe your ties. It will tear you up if he has more torts and you see them in the same situation. And call the local animal control and report the cruelty of him and his uncle. What type of tort? I missed that. If it is the right species he could be facing serious criminal charges.

Dawna

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Thanks everyone for your support and advice, I am going to keep her if she pulls thro, She is an illegal species, she is Testudo graeca ibera, very illegal, So i could get on to Seprona which is animal protection here in spain.
will keep everyone informed..

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Use it as an ASHTRAY - GRRRRR - Bikerschic, I hope you do keep the baby :)

Me too I just can't believe it, it is like he does not care if the little one make it or not!!!!! Frustrating.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
You can definitely tell him they had to "cremate her remains" - tell him she had a disease that was so catchy, they had to cremate her to get rid of the disease !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.