Sidewalk Food

Ruszian Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
TX
Is it alright to feed tortoises weeds from cracks in the sidewalks? Not like any neighbors will spend extra money getting that sprayed with -icides, right? There's some nice sowthistle I really want to snatch!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Is it alright to feed tortoises weeds from cracks in the sidewalks? Not like any neighbors will spend extra money getting that sprayed with -icides, right? There's some nice sowthistle I really want to snatch!
It should be fine if it was not sprayed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are confident that it isn't sprayed with poison, then heck yeah, sidewalk weeds are great.

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
If you are confident that it isn't sprayed with poison, then heck yeah, sidewalk weeds are great.
Oh. Well... Not sure how I would be confident. Is it a common occurrence to spray the sidewalk?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Oh. Well... Not sure how I would be confident. Is it a common occurrence to spray the sidewalk?

Depends where you are located. Town works crews will often spray nasty weed killer early in Spring to get all those nasty weeds that if left unchecked will ruin concrete sidewalks over time.

If an area looks like no one ever does maintenance, prob good to go. I know our road crews spray around stop signs, guard rails etc so the larger mowers can easily cut grass along the edges. Even out in the boonies, weeds are sprayed. Just be cautious.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would also be worried about car fumes if it's a busy street.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Okay. Well, darn. Thanks though.
My area has lots of dandies that grow along roadsides and they look good, so it's a shame about the traffic and the council spraying them. :(
When they go to seed I collect the fluffy heads and scatter them in my garden or in pots to grow my own, they don't need great soil.