Young Tortoise Feeding - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

camelotsace

5 Year Member
I have a Hermann's Tortoise that was hatched early this year and my question is about finding proper food. I have had to keep the tortoise going on store-feed pellets. I want (of course!) to get the tortoise eating real, natural food. I have searched extensively about which sort of weeds and flowers are good and I have tried a couple to no avail. I want to try a wider variety, but I am having trouble finding any. The weeds around have all been sprayed or fertilized. Or they are far out in fields and I am not 100% sure what they are. Everything in the store have been treated as well. I really need some advice because this have been a weight on my mind these past couple months of trying. THANK YOU!

camelotsace

5 Year Member
Can no one help? Have I posted in the wrong thread? My tortoise doesn't even seem to taking interest in the pellets anymore - which leaves nothing.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Grocery store greens are by far still better than pellets as a diet staple. Weeds are still going to be a better diet staple than grocery store greens too. Not knowing where you live or in what type of area (suburban, rural, etc...) there is no way of knowing, but why are you certain that all of the local weeds have been sprayed or fertilized with something? You might want to do some searching around your local area, there must be some untouched weeds. If you are unsure of what type of weeds there are in your area you can usually find a website that shows the weeds of your state or area. In addition you post photos here on TFO for people to help identify the weeds for you. Tortoise owners tend to become very good at identifying weeds eventually!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
dandelion....organic spring mix...clover (real clover not that shamrock looking stuff we all call clover)...beet greens...kale....
Just some stuff to try. I have russians, sulcatas and leopards and they love this stuff. if you can get cactus they like that as well but only a few times a month. I have heard that Hermanns love chickory and mallow as well if you can find it or grow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.