Hermann's trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBeauMonde

5 Year Member
I have a very young Hermann's that seems to show no interest in anything but little pellets from the store. Grasses aren't doing it and I can't find weeds that I can safely identify. I'm told to avoid store plants because they are sprayed . . . this is getting very, very frustrating. Any suggestions at all would helpful

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Go to a local store that sells produce and buy Spring Mix. Anything in there will be safe for your tortoise, although some people remove the spinach.

As far as weeds around your own house, dandelions are really good

And as far as getting him to eat it, you have to use a little tough love. A healthy tortoise can go weeks without eating so don't give in after a few days of it and give him the pellets.

To wean him over you can also wet the pellets, finely chop up the spring mix, and mix it into the pellet "mush". Keep adding more and more spring mix to the mixture every day until you can remove the pellets completely.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Ah yes, the initial phases of the start up ....lol....take a breath and relax, you will find your groove....

If you go to the grocery store you will likely find an organic spring mix (which I would suggest, I personally go organic for the humans and torts here---alot of pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers in produce isles)...

Now, the pebbles you speak of----these can be slowly reduced to not be such a large part of the diet simply by you reducing what you offer----once you get your hands on greens of your choice, then you can cut those greens up into small pieces, then take those little pebbles and moisten them with warm/hot water in a bowl---once it is mushy then you can add the cut greens and stir them together and mix em up really well, then offer that and continue to do so until your tort understands there will be no other options----as the tort begins to comply (and he will with time) then you can further decrease the pebbles and increase the greens----it will take more than a day or two---torts do most changes rather slowly :D

http://www.ugacfs.org/producesafety/Pages/Steps/LeafyGreenTypes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.