Outdoor Grazing?

Sully06012018

Location (City and/or State)
Ocklawaha, FL
I have a very large yard and it has a variety of weeds and grasses, most of which I have yet to identify. If I let my 7 month old sulcata graze supervised in the yard will he eat weeds or plants that are not good for him or toxic or do they have a built in instinct not to eat some plants?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. No, they do not “instinctively” know what is good and bad. Thats where you as the good tort keeper come in. If left to just graze, he will eat and graze and eat and graze - good and bad.

It’s good to ID what you have in your garden....hopefully mostfully good stuff.

Happy Torting

Last edited:

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
I live in Florida and our lawn isn't well established yet and we live in a partial forest area. Lots of sand and more weeds than grass. I plan on buying a book on native Florida plants and weeds. In the mean time....my husband just got done building an above ground outdoor table that is 4' X 6' with hardware screen cover. I am going to put organic soil and plants so he can have some safe outdoor time during the day. He will come inside during bad days and all nights until he is much older.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I live in Florida and our lawn isn't well established yet and we live in a partial forest area. Lots of sand and more weeds than grass. I plan on buying a book on native Florida plants and weeds. In the mean time....my husband just got done building an above ground outdoor table that is 4' X 6' with hardware screen cover. I am going to put organic soil and plants so he can have some safe outdoor time during the day. He will come inside during bad days and all nights until he is much older.

Well, since you have some time to plan, here is a great place to get some GOOD seeds for your Sully

https://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Happy Torting!

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
Well, since you have some time to plan, here is a great place to get some GOOD seeds for your Sully

https://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Happy Torting!
I plan on using that for the ground when he gets bigger...I already have alot of seedlings growing in a kiddy pool I plan to transplant to his table. We don't have dandelions so I had my Sister mail me some seeds. Most people want to get rid of them...only tort lovers love dandelions.