Size differences in red foot groups

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I always thought that keeping multiple individuals of different sizes was dangerous and stressful for the smaller tortoises. But I noticed some pictures online that are showing multiple red foots of very different sizes housed together.
What are some experienced opinions on caring for groups of red foots? I've never really taken the suggestion of keeping them togather seriously anyway, because I never thought it was a good idea...

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
As stated in previous threads and posts, tortoises are solitary creatures. Some species will be ok being grouped together (the red foot being one of them.) I don't think it's very good to keep different sized tortoises together. The care requirements for red foots don't change that much from hatchling to adult, but I believe the issue would be them competing for food. Also the bigger torts may flip the smaller torts on their back.

It would really depend on the size of their enclosure, and the size differences between the animals.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I agree with Clamhands - enclosure size and size difference are important factors to consider.

If you had a large enough space, it seems foolish to not segregate tortoises of disparate sizes but people have done stranger things.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I wasn't going to answer here because I know the general feeling is don't mix sizes. I agree to a certain extent.
We always go on tortoises size by their SCL, but they grow in other dimensions too. You can have a 5" tort of around 18 months old or a 6" tort around 3yrs old, the 6" tort has far bigger limbs and head, tail, the carapace is stronger and their overall strength is greater than the tort that is only 1" smaller and 18 months old.
I put my 3 juveniles in with my adults after speaking with s very experienced redfoot fanatic a while back, obviously I was a bit weary about this and kept an obsessive close eye on things. Roughly a year on and I've had no problems at all. These 3 are 4yrs old in may. 6.5 to 9" SCL at the moment. Believe it or not I think the smaller 6.5" one seeks out the adults to lay with for some reason. The 9" girl has just started trying to throw her weight around a bit with the adults, so she'll be put into pecking order shortly from a female adult.
I would not put my 5" 18 month old with the adults.
Also I have plenty of space indoors for every tort to be alone if they so wish.
Sorry about dirty torts, that's life :D
IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG

Bee62

Germany
I think redfoot tortoises are a little bit more "social" as other tortoise species and I agree with much space and a close look to the behavior of the group it can work.
With my sulcatas it doesen`t work. I had to keep a smaller one alone because the bigger ones supress the smaller tort.