Size of Tortoise Table

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
I am looking into getting a Russian tort. And I was wondering if a 3.75ft by 4.89ft horse trough was big enough to set up a home for a Russian? (It will be 150 gallon)

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
What age of russian tortoise do you plan on getting? A hatchling? A yearling? or an adult? If you are planning on getting a hatching or one that is a few months old, they will benefit more from a closed chamber or some other setup to retain high humidity; to reduce the chances of pyramiding and aid smooth shell growth, as well as normal growth over time for your tortoise. A rabbit cage would not work in that instance.

How big is the chicken coop. I'd imagine that could retain some humidity but it would still have to be of good size. 8ftx4ft is best minimun size for any form of closed chamber or tortoise table since that gives your tort the minimum amount of walking space and so it can exercise and strengthen its legs. I could be a bit off on that reasoning but it is good enough reason to stride for a 8x4 enclosure.

daniellenc

Maryland
A baby will be fine in an enclosed tub for a year or so. However, an adult does require a ton more space unless it can be housed outdoors the majority of the year securely.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree, an adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot and with an outdoor enclosure for the warm months.
With not much building knowledge a wood enclosure is quite easy. Plywood comes in 4x8 sheets and you can get 8 foot 2x2's or 2x4's. Home Depot's will even cut your wood to size and you can buy half sheets of plywood if that would be easie.
Or you can check craigslist for cheap tall chest of drawers and put a couple them together to get the size you need.
You can also buy raised garden beds and revamp it if needed to make the enclosure.
Thinking out of the box helps to see an enclosure in many things.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Thank you everyone for answering my question and all of the helpful advice! I will keep looking into different and more practical ways to house a Russian.
No worries, no more planning on a tub, rabbit hutch, or chicken coop! I will start looking at a raised garden!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Thank you everyone for answering my question and all of the helpful advice! I will keep looking into different and more practical ways to house a Russian.
No worries, no more planning on a tub, rabbit hutch, or chicken coop! I will start looking at a raised garden!
This is what we did. I hope to enlarge it and I have plans in the next couple of months to build a heated house for winter.

Attachments

• D2B20BFA-5AD5-4244-8F80-F9B6C6CD5735.jpeg
    D2B20BFA-5AD5-4244-8F80-F9B6C6CD5735.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 95A0EE5A-F4BE-454E-A463-C80DBDA8F606.jpeg
    95A0EE5A-F4BE-454E-A463-C80DBDA8F606.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34