Size to sex? (Genders)

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So, I couldn't find a thread about the sizes to sex a sulcata. I'm interested in the general size. I have 4, two hatchlings I know they can't be sexed. But I have a 6" and a 9" sulcata. I'm fairly positive the 9" is female. So if you guys could give me input.. Thanks. ImageUploadedByTortForum1392058760.268059.jpg 9"
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392058771.218052.jpg 6"

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
The 9" is actually looking a bit male. The plastron seems to be concaving, indicting male.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Really? I originally hoped because I named her after a male. But then my red foot took interest in her and I figured if he was a she or if she was a he then there would be fighting. But she doesn't eat without being able to see my redfoot Rupert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can't tell yet. Usually by three years or 10-12" a person can tell, but not always.

It is entirely plausible that a tortoise from a different environment and continent might not recognize the "maleness" or "femaleness" of an entirely different species. And redfoots often don't engage in combat regardless of sexes or ages. They are one of the most likely to get along with other tortoises.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It is still a tad early, but I think you have both females. I would be SHOCKED if the 9" ended up being a male. The tail is incredibly small even for a young male.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Tom said:
Can't tell yet. Usually by three years or 10-12" a person can tell, but not always.

It is entirely plausible that a tortoise from a different environment and continent might not recognize the "maleness" or "femaleness" of an entirely different species. And redfoots often don't engage in combat regardless of sexes or ages. They are one of the most likely to get along with other tortoises.

Okay. Thanks. :) I hope she's a female because se is my baby. Lol. She is about 3.5 maybe? I bought her in June 2012 and they said she was about a year. So I'm not sure.