Size Weight Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weed Botherer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi all, this is my first post, possibly of many! I'm new to keeping torts. I have 2 young greek spur thigheds. I'm not sure of the age...possibly 12 months old. I have tried to find a chart which shows the correct weight for length that my geeks should be but the only one I can find is the jackson ratio, which doesn't go down to the size of mine. They are both approx 60mm in length (caliper measurement of the carapace) and one is about 37g and the other 45g. Anyone know if this is a normal ratio range?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Paul

Attachments

• S&T.JPG
    S&T.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 36

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi WeedBotherer, welcome to the forum those are a lovely pair of Greeks you have. attached is a Jackson Ratio for hatchlings. If you save it to your computer then open it it opens larger and easier to read.

Additional info on the Jackson Ratio http://www.slowcoach.org.uk/care/jackson/jackson.html this gives information on how to interpret your findings.

Interesting read about the Jackson Ratio
http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/151.asp

Calculate the weight in grammes, divided by the length in cms cubed (weight/length*length*length): the resulting figure is the tortoise’s Jackson Ratio.
This is for Adults:
A Jackson Ratio of less than 16 indicates an underweight tortoise needing special care.
Jackson Ratio of 17 indicates an animal which is light for hibernation. However, a healthy, but active male or a tortoise with very flared scutes could also give this result.
Jackson Ratio of 19 is normal and safe to hibernate.
Jackson Ratio of 21 is a good weight, and ideal condition for hibernation.
Jackson Ratio of 23 is possibly too heavy; you should check for any puffiness, or if a female, she could be carrying eggs.

Attachments

• Hatchlingjacksonratio.jpg
    Hatchlingjacksonratio.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 38

Weed Botherer

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Crazy1 said:
Hi WeedBotherer, welcome to the forum those are a lovely pair of Greeks you have. Here is a Jackson Ratio for hatchlings. If you save it to your computer then open it it opens larger and easier to read.

Thank you very much for that Crazy1. Gosh. My Greeks seem a little small for the age suggested by the supplier and a little under weight.
Am I right in interpreting that a 6 month old should be 85mm in length and 130g in weight. Mine were supposed to have been hatched last year (08) making them, at the very least, 8 months old. If this is the case then I don't think Ill be hibernating them this year.

Thanks Again.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would not hibernate a Greek that I have not had for at least a year and I don't hibernate some of my Greeks at all. Some don't hibernate. Did the breeder tell you what type of Greeks you bought? I would think the breeder should know at least what month they hatched in? If you did not get them from the breeder I would think that they may be younger than you thought or just are growing slowly. I have one that is a year old this month Yes I have the birth date from the breeder and she is small. Her weight is only 55g and she is 6.35 cm long ) 63.5mm)or(2.5 inches) I also have a hatchling that was hatched in May and is 39g already I don’t have a length on her yet. I would not worry about hibernating this year it will give you time to learn about and get use to your two new shelled friends. :)

Weed Botherer

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks Robyn. That's very reassuring. It's good of you to share your experience. I've been reading alot about tortoise care but nothing beats first hand experience. My babies are Testudo Gracea Iberia. I got them from Carlisle Tortoises. They seemed like a reputable source but annoyingly they have not replied to my e-mails about the age of my torts. It's good news about the hibernating, I was feeling almost obliged to hibernate them.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Robyn, Where am I doing my math wrong? Your Tort above (55g x 6.35cm) would have a Jackson ratio of .21! That is 100 times too low. I know its just a decimal thing, but where have I gone wrong? 55/6.35*6.35*6.35=.21, not 21 as Jackson Ratio suggests it should be.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
:p .21 is right Betts :D When your doing calculations thats what it comes out like. Most charts leave off the decimal point for some reason.

Danny

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
AAAWWWWW! I already saved it in hopes of doing the ratio for Taco. Dang! Do you know if there is a length/weight ratio chart for other tortoises, like Chaco's?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks Robyn and Danny! I was going crazy trying to figure out where I lost not one, but two decimal points.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul:

789559wud6rkz4pl.gif

to the forum! We're very happy to have another Greek Geek here on the forum with us!!

Yvonne

Weed Botherer

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
emysemys said:
Hi Paul:

789559wud6rkz4pl.gif

to the forum! We're very happy to have another Greek Geek here on the forum with us!!

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne. I've never joined a forum before but although I've kept a number of reptiles I felt a bit out of my depth with my new torts. So I thought I should make a few connections in case I get into bother! I think a few, if not most of the memers seem to be in the US. Is that acurate?
Anyway, thanks for the Welcome. Hope I can contribute at some point.

Paul .

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The only other ratio out there Stephanie is one for Marginated tortoises.

Most members are from the US, but we have a few from the UK also. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.