Too underweight to hibernate?

sparkleday65

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Hey everyone. I have a (roughly) 6 year old Horsfield tortoise who I am getting ready to hibernate for the first time. I took away his food a couple of weeks ago (he wasn't eating anyway) and I've reduced his exposure to the heat lamp. I've been bathing him and weighing him to make sure he's okay to hibernate.

His shell is 12.5cm long. 11 days ago he weighed 440g and now he weighs 430g. Is his weight dropping too quickly? I was using the Jackson Ratio chart which showed he is healthy, but I've now learned that I should be using the McIntyre Ratio chart instead. According to this chart, a good/average weight for his length is 500g and 380g is underweight. He is 430g so I'm worried he might be slightly underweight and therefore shouldn't hibernate?

Not sure if I'm just overthinking! Any advice appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey everyone. I have a (roughly) 6 year old Horsfield tortoise who I am getting ready to hibernate for the first time. I took away his food a couple of weeks ago (he wasn't eating anyway) and I've reduced his exposure to the heat lamp. I've been bathing him and weighing him to make sure he's okay to hibernate.

His shell is 12.5cm long. 11 days ago he weighed 440g and now he weighs 430g. Is his weight dropping too quickly? I was using the Jackson Ratio chart which showed he is healthy, but I've now learned that I should be using the McIntyre Ratio chart instead. According to this chart, a good/average weight for his length is 500g and 380g is underweight. He is 430g so I'm worried he might be slightly underweight and therefore shouldn't hibernate?

Not sure if I'm just overthinking! Any advice appreciated.
I've not found any of those "ratios" to be accurate or useful. Too many variables.

Instead, is/was your tortoise behaving and eating normally? Does the tortoise feel heavy when you pick it up? If its a youngster is it steadily growing? If it is a full size older adult, does it hold a relatively steady weight week to week and month to month.

Scroll to post number 19 for instructions:

Questions are welcome. :)