Size

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Don't worry! Tortoises have extremely varying growth rates, and as long as he's active and eating, he's fine!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Like what was said, they all grow at very different rates so there's not really a size they should be at a given age but there definitely are sizes they shouldn't be. On average I'd say for that age would be around 5-6" but definitely could be bigger or smaller. How big is yours? What's its diet like?

Alabama
He's 3in. I was doing almost everything wrong untill I found tfo. But now soak him everyday and take him out everyday so grass and weeds are a big part now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's 3in. I was doing almost everything wrong untill I found tfo. But now soak him everyday and take him out everyday so grass and weeds are a big part now.

Well if he had a dry start, and some of the care parameters were a bit off, then slower growth should be expected.

I would not worry too much about this. They can survive a lot. As long as things are good now it won't matter in the long run.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
This explains the slow growth. If he's eating well and active like you say he's just fine! He should catch up in no time. [emoji3]

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This explains the slow growth. If he's eating well and active like you say he's just fine! He should catch up in no time. [emoji3]
Good point. I've seen a lot of slow starters catch right up and get huge.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum Mopar . Mine is small for his age too because I did not keep him warm enough . I hope by correcting his heating needs he will catch up . Had him for 17 years and I really would love to see him at 75 pounds plus one day ! Big changes here since I joined the forum . Building a night box and a heated room which at first I was going to attempt for next year but my boy needs it asap :) The room should be good for a few winters and then he needs his own heated shed house . Starting a growth record again did that when he was a baby to monitor his rate . This forum is awesome great people that are always willing to share their expirience and knowledge we are in good hands

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A normal healthy diet is all that’s needed. Less lettuce, more weedy and leafy greens... and maybe some mazuri to supplement when the season makes the weeds in short supply.

Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles