Sizes (Greeks, Hermann's, Russians)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Re: Sizes

Or take time to read the lovely posts members have made.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
RE: Sizes

Moozillion said:
colejohnson73, LISTEN to tffnytorts!!! That is VERY GOOD, VERY BASIC advice!!!!

2nded!

Choose from tortoises that will best thrive in your location...it's easier to make a home for a rainforest tortoise in a high humidity area, and a low-humidity area for a desert species.

Which is not to say you can't make a high-humidity enclosure in Arizona or a low-humidity enclosure in southern Louisiana, but it's quite a bit more work and requires specialized equipment...

Where are you located? Have you enough room in your yard for a tortoise enclosure? 6' X 10' is a safe minimum for Europeans, but a a bit larger has no downside, particularly if your tort is a male.

These are some of the things to consider...otoh, you've come to the right place, as we all like to help "newbies" (and their pets) start long and successful relationships! :cool:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Sizes

How many of us did the resurch 10 or Evan 12 yrs ago before we got our torts Great ! But it was all wrong ! 20 yrs ago it was right to feed water turtles ant eggs . Now we know. They need a very different diet . So let's do what we do best just be nice and help . Have a great day

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
How many of us did the resurch 10 or Evan 12 yrs ago before we got our torts Great ! But it was all wrong ! 20 yrs ago it was right to feed water turtles ant eggs . Now we know. They need a very different diet . So let's do what we do best just be nice and help . Have a great day

Well stated! :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

The thing is, it doesn't seem like Cole is reading any of our answers. It's getting very frustrating to be nice. I'm starting to wonder if he's for real or if he's a troll.

colejohnson73 said:
Smallest and easiest tortoise to get.

This would probably be a Russian tortoise. They don't get very big, but they DO require a lot of space. Keeping a Russian tortoise, who is hard-wired to do a lot of walking and wandering, in a small indoor habitat is just asking to have a very stressed out and upset tortoise.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
oh god are we still on this? Lets put it this way buddy... if your not willing to do the proper research i say dont get a tortoise. Sorry to be so blunt but tortoise are hardy animals that requires a lot of attention. Like what yvonne said and everyone else, they require a lot of space and a proper set up... Its bad enough when people just get them and then realized they cant handle the proper care and then the tortoise get neglected. I see this turning out that way... Im glad your asking here but it still... everything will be up to you... and if you dont want to do the proper research just comes to show how your not ready for this...

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
High five to the mod that combined all these threads! :p

Anyways, this is getting a bit irritating. I'm a generally very well tempered person, who's 'bad list' is very short.

That said, Sir, you're very close to my bad side right now.

colejohnson73

I read all the threads and I have time to research since I won't get one till July. I will listen to your info and I am very sorry. Does anyone have cool pictures of wooden enclosures for tortoises.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I don't mean to be rude, but you are getting trolled. Mods need to take this guy out or he will keep returning here for his own amusement at the expense of the nice people trying to help him.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Sizes (Greeks, Hermann's, Russians)

colejohnson73 said:
I read all the threads and I have time to research since I won't get one till July. I will listen to your info and I am very sorry. Does anyone have cool pictures of wooden enclosures for tortoises.

A person can read and read but not comprehend. If you GOOGLE wood tortoise box LOTS will come up.