Sketch of Enclosure (updated - finished!!)

Nathan Coleman

Hey everyone! My redfoot is beginning to grow and needs a new enclosure. I have looked over several designs and came up with this! It will be a two level table with dimensions of 5x2. Yes if like it to be bigger but with the second level I think it will be a good fit for him!

Please let me know of what y'all think! If you have any suggestion, how lighting should be arranged, any plant life, ect!!???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 87

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With your young redfoot I believe you need a high humidity set up. So go as big as you can and design a cover for your enclosure.

You can make the 2nd floor larger by extending it as a overhang beyond the first floor and by making the ramp start a little further toward the edge of your first floor.

Check with some of the previous designs for enclosed chambers that will make maintaining higher humidity much easier.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I haven't had luck with 'plant life', but moss will add humidity and green! Maybe a little handrail and ribs so your tort can climb the ramp easily, seems silly, but it'll really help!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Popsicle sticks work well and are cheap for ribs for better grip!
Hey, that would work really well! What are you using?
I've been stripping sticks of their bark for a couple days... my hands fee like a tree, how fitting o_O

Nathan Coleman

After everyone's great suggestions this is the revised sketch!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39

Nathan Coleman

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Just finished my table! Couldn't have came out any better in my opinion!

Plans called for it to be 5x2 with the second level being 2'6"x2. Once we started laying it out we realized it should be wider. I used mostly scrap wood laying around my oldman's house. By doing this it made us shorten it by 2 inches. So the final dimensions ended up being 4'10x2'6" with second level being 2'x2'6". We gave the curve at the transition which makes it look like a sled haha.

The base of the table is vct for easy cleaning and waterproofing!

So here are the pics of the finished product! Stampy loves it! Hope y'all do too!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. I like the slant so it does look kinda like a sled. If I were you, I think I would take the half log out, he already has a hide under the top level. It will give more walking room and more room for plants. Now we need a pic of the occupant.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow! That looks so nice! You did a great job. Does he have a UVB too? I'd love to know where you got the grippy ramp stuff, it looks like a rug?

Nathan Coleman

It was a doormat I cut up! I have a light but got to get a new fixture to fit the mount I made! I always have trouble knowing what lights. Can you please tell me which bulbs/lights you are using???!

Wow! That looks so nice! You did a great job. Does he have a UVB too? I'd love to know where you got the grippy ramp stuff, it looks like a rug?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) for desert-type tortoises and the tube-type fluorescent bulbs for forest type (but I also have lots of plants for the forest types to proved plenty of shade).

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It was a doormat I cut up! I have a light but got to get a new fixture to fit the mount I made! I always have trouble knowing what lights. Can you please tell me which bulbs/lights you are using???!
what a clever idea! I thought it was rubber.
I use UVB tubes, but since you already have a thingie for a new bulb, an MVB would work great for you!