Skin issues!

Estanford

I got a Hermann tortoise as a birthday gift over the summer. He is still extremely tiny and I feel as though I must be doing something extremely wrong. His skin is cracked everywhere and it is extremely dry. His enclosure gets misted two to three times a day, the temperatures are where I believe they should be, at around 80 with a basking spot of 85-90. I soak him about 3 times a week and he is fed everyday. I do not know what I am doing wrong for such a thing to happen. I don't want him to be in pain or be suffering, so I would appreciate all the help anyone has to offer. The cracking looks horrible and quite painful. I noticed it a while ago but everyone told me that it wasnot a big deal, including those who I work with at the zoo who specialize in reptiles. I just feel as though it looks harmful and unhealthy. Please help!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I'm curious, the tort in your profile pic looks like a baby sulcata?? They need 80% humidity up, so it's likely he is way too dry! :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi E, and welcome to the Forum!

If the skin is just peeling, but the new part under the peel is skin color, it is normal shedding. If under the peeled skin is red and inflamed-looking, then you are right to worry. Please post some clear shots of the skin you're worried about.

Estanford

can you post pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure?
Here is a picture of his enclosure as well as a picture of his legs. I was told a while back that he was simply shedding but from what I have read shedding should barely be noticeable. Also, this has been going on for sometime now but everyone in my house as well as the people I work with insist he is fine. I personally think it looks as though something is wrong and that his skin should not look this way. I could be completely wrong about it and there might not be an issue but all the opinions you have would be appreciated!

IMG_0459.jpg IMG_0455.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Estanford

How old is he my leopards are a little over a year i soak them about 5 times a week.
I'm not sure about his exact age but I would say he is under a year old. I'll shoot for 5 times a week from now on. I know that 3 is probably a little low! Thanks!

Estanford

Hi E, and welcome to the Forum!

If the skin is just peeling, but the new part under the peel is skin color, it is normal shedding. If under the peeled skin is red and inflamed-looking, then you are right to worry. Please post some clear shots of the skin you're worried about.
Just posted some!

phebe121

Also read the coconut oil threads i use it on my torts

Attachments

• CAM01003.jpg
    CAM01003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Yellow Turtle01 on this. Pour a whole pitcher full of water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand until the substrate has absorbed the water. Also, your lights are wrong. You need to figure out a way so they hang straight down, and get them closer to the floor of the habitat. Zoo Med makes a light stand that I really like. Here's a picture of it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255OUO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

It comes in two sizes. I like the larger one.

I'm hearing good things about extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil. Rubbing some of this on the tortoise's legs might help. Usually the peeling skin that we see on young tortoises is around the neck, not the legs, so I would say what you're seeing isn't normal, but it's also not showing red or oozing spots, so I don't think there's anything to worry about yet.