Sleep & Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenfletcher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire, England
Hi guys

Just thought I'd let you know that my little dudes are getting on well in their viv - they're eating plenty and (when awake are quite active, running around, climbing up and down, digging etc.

However, they do seem to be sleeping a lot. The doors are open all the time and there's air circulation holes at the back/top of the viv as well so that isn't the problem.

What temperature should I be keeping it at, currently when the heat lamp's on I've had it between 27-30 degrees C, is this too hot/too cold?

Also do they sleep loads if they're bored? There isn't that much in there at the moment... a couple of rocks, a water dish, food dish and 2 half logs as hides but that's it. I'm working on getting more stuff.

(I think it might be boredom. I just put the lazier of the two on my bed and he started flying around, having the time of his life. However, he soon got put back in the viv after he did a wee on my sheets... NOT impressed :()

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't remember if you said...are they babies? Babies do sleep a lot. And they become very active when you take them out of their comfort zone because they are prey and it makes them scared to be out in the open.

glenfletcher

5 Year Member
Derbyshire, England
Ah right sorry, yeah they're 1 year old.

I figured they'd sleep quite a bit but it seems a bit excessive, even for babies. Like they get up at 8-10am and are asleep by 5pm.

He didn't seem scared earlier. Didn't flinch when I put my hand near him (in fact he was sniffing it) and was very happy just looking around exploring... I think...

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Selby Did seem to sleep alot when i had spot light around 34 c and cooler end was around 27 but i had mat on in the day too, i got the temps down abit when i left mat off today and he was more active. My spot light was around 30 c and cooler end is at 20 c and he was ok today. he also manged to wee on my hand and i manged to find a poo he hid while i was adding a humidity hide so i am defo playing the Lotto tomorrow and if i win i will build a big house and he will have a Tortoise paradise built for him too lol

Status
Not open for further replies.