Sleeping alot?

Mr. turtle

Hey guys! I was wondering if it is normal for my baby red foot tortoise to sleep alot. I got her yesterday shipped to me, and the box was cold a little on the inside so i put her in warm water, and she pooped, then i put her in her new cage, and she immediately she went to her hide spot, and wont come out. I pulled her out 2-3 times. She ate one of those times, but went straight back to the hide. She didnt even bask. Is this normal? Should i get her out again to let her eat, or try and bask if she wants to?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hatchlings hide alot. That's what they do instinctively, as to not get eaten. Other than that if the temperatures aren't ideal then they'll hide/sleep. I don't think red foots bask all that much compared to other tortoises. Also, a new tortoise is probably stressed from being shipped and the new surroundings. Give it time, and if all it's needs are met and it's eating and pooping it'll be fine.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
Congratulations on your new tortoise. Yes they sleep almost all the time. Just like any babies. You should post pictures - I love seeing hatchlings, of her habitat too. Good luck with her/him and Enjoy.

Mr. turtle

Congratulations on your new tortoise. Yes they sleep almost all the time. Just like any babies. You should post pictures - I love seeing hatchlings, of her habitat too. Good luck with her/him and Enjoy.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505335345.767944.jpg
Also she has been in the same spot all day. She hasnt eaten, i dont think she has been basking. What should i do? I have been at school all day, and every time i try to move her, she kinda makes like a high pitched noise. I think she is stressed out! Plz help!

Mr. turtle

Hatchlings hide alot. That's what they do instinctively, as to not get eaten. Other than that if the temperatures aren't ideal then they'll hide/sleep. I don't think red foots bask all that much compared to other tortoises. Also, a new tortoise is probably stressed from being shipped and the new surroundings. Give it time, and if all it's needs are met and it's eating and pooping it'll be fine.
Ok thanks!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
How warm is your tank? Babies like to sleep a lot, but keep an eye on him. The high pitched noise is common in my experience. When I go to pick up little ones, sometimes they will make a slight hissing noise as they retract into their shell. Don't confuse this with wheezing, as that will be heard during normal respiration, a symptom of a dry environment. These guys are tropical, so keep it warm and humid.

Tweak

Our 2 babies tend to spend a good amount of time in their hide but they definitely know when it's food time. We have had them about 2 1/2 months and they hatched the beginning of May. It took about a week for them to adjust and then I would find them exploring some.

Mr. turtle

How warm is your tank? Babies like to sleep a lot, but keep an eye on him. The high pitched noise is common in my experience. When I go to pick up little ones, sometimes they will make a slight hissing noise as they retract into their shell. Don't confuse this with wheezing, as that will be heard during normal respiration, a symptom of a dry environment. These guys are tropical, so keep it warm and humid.
Yeah. Her temperatures in the cage stay around 80-90 degrees, with a basking spot over 90 degrees, and a couple humid hide spot. Humidity stays at about around 60-75%, but today she was exploring the cage, and was eating. Then she went right back to sleep. Sometimes, if i pick her up to put her by her food, she kinda hisses, but then calms down. I think i just scare her when i do that.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Yeah. Her temperatures in the cage stay around 80-90 degrees, with a basking spot over 90 degrees, and a couple humid hide spot. Humidity stays at about around 60-75%, but today she was exploring the cage, and was eating. Then she went right back to sleep. Sometimes, if i pick her up to put her by her food, she kinda hisses, but then calms down. I think i just scare her when i do that.

Everything seems good. You can bump up the humidity to 80. I've had new adults behave this way too. Your little one sounds like hes settling in fine. Try moving a piece of food to him, rather than moving him.

Mr. turtle

Everything seems good. You can bump up the humidity to 80. I've had new adults behave this way too. Your little one sounds like hes settling in fine. Try moving a piece of food to him, rather than moving him.
Ok. Thanks