Sleeping Outside

Miles&Marvin

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I live in Los Angeles and the weather has been in the high 80’s low 90’s durning the day but cooler at night. My 2+ year old female Sulcuta has decided to sleep outside her house the past 2 nights for the first time ever. Her home is heat regulated with a warm and cool side and a heat pad. She pies herself to sleep everyday by walking into her house. Other than the past couple of days. Yesterday she stayed under the bush all day. Is this normal? She ate, had a bath and strolled around 2 days ago like usual but past 2 days very different.
What should I do? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Los Angeles and the weather has been in the high 80’s low 90’s durning the day but cooler at night. My 2+ year old female Sulcuta has decided to sleep outside her house the past 2 nights for the first time ever. Her home is heat regulated with a warm and cool side and a heat pad. She pies herself to sleep everyday by walking into her house. Other than the past couple of days. Yesterday she stayed under the bush all day. Is this normal? She ate, had a bath and strolled around 2 days ago like usual but past 2 days very different.
What should I do? Thanks
What size is the tortoise? They grow at vastly different rates, so the age doesn't tell us the size.

Your question was: "Is this normal?" Yes. It is very normal. Your question should have been: "Is this okay?" No. Not okay at all. I'm up in Santa Clarita. Its 61 outside right now. That is MUCH too cold for a sulcata.

"What should I do?" Every night at dusk, find your tortoise, put it inside its box, and latch the door shut. Every morning, pop the door open so the tortoise can come out when it wants. Box temp this time of year should be set to 80.

They do not need a "cool" side. They need the whole night box set to 80 at the lowest. Cool sides are for temperate species like desert tortoises or Russians.

What kind of heat pad are you using? Is it set on a thermostat?

When winter returns you will need more than the heat pad to maintain the correct temperatures. Where in L.A. are you? We don't need specifics, just the city. Paciific Palisades weather is very different than Whittier.

Miles&Marvin

Los Angeles
What size is the tortoise? They grow at vastly different rates, so the age doesn't tell us the size.

Your question was: "Is this normal?" Yes. It is very normal. Your question should have been: "Is this okay?" No. Not okay at all. I'm up in Santa Clarita. Its 61 outside right now. That is MUCH too cold for a sulcata.

"What should I do?" Every night at dusk, find your tortoise, put it inside its box, and latch the door shut. Every morning, pop the door open so the tortoise can come out when it wants. Box temp this time of year should be set to 80.

They do not need a "cool" side. They need the whole night box set to 80 at the lowest. Cool sides are for temperate species like desert tortoises or Russians.

What kind of heat pad are you using? Is it set on a thermostat?

When winter returns you will need more than the heat pad to maintain the correct temperatures. Where in L.A. are you? We don't need specifics, just the city. Paciific Palisades weather is very different than Whittier.
Thanks
for your response. I live next to UCLA and in the warm summer at night it gets down into the high 60s. I am happy to pick her up and put her back in her house every night. I think maybe the fact that the heat pad was there in addition to the overhead heat lamps, which keeps the house set a thermostat temperature of 80 making it too warm. she weighs about 35 pounds. The overhead lamps are on a thermostat but not the heat pad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks
for your response. I live next to UCLA and in the warm summer at night it gets down into the high 60s. I am happy to pick her up and put her back in her house every night. I think maybe the fact that the heat pad was there in addition to the overhead heat lamps, which keeps the house set a thermostat temperature of 80 making it too warm. she weighs about 35 pounds. The overhead lamps are on a thermostat but not the heat pad.
Its not safe or effective to use heat lamps on a 35 pound tortoise. That will damage the carapace. Its time to switch to something that is safer and more effective.

What type of heat pad are you using?

35 pounds at 2 years old? Either the weight is wrong or the age is. Post a picture with a size reference?

Here are two examples of different ways to heat the night box:

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hello from Burbank. The weather you are having right now is great for a Russian or desert tort, but not a sulcata. They can live a long time in bad conditions, but it’s not great for them. Tom gives good advice…

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I found with my sully if he is sleeping outside. There is something wrong with the enclosure. To hot, to dry especially in the winter or to cold.

Miles&Marvin

Los Angeles
I think the heat pad was making it too hot. The temp under the heat lamps is 80 but the heat mat emits heat. I took the heat mat out today and put her in. Thanks for your reply.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Heat lamps don't really work on large tortoises for the reasons that @Tom stated. You should really try to find a new heat source, like radiant heat panel for example.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TY. I am ordering a radiant heat panel today.
A RHP alone won't do it in winter, and even in warmer weather, the heat from underneath is beneficial for larger tortoises like yours. What type of heat pad are you using?

Here is an example of how to use the two of them together for optimum effect:

And here is an alternative way to do it:

Miles&Marvin

Los Angeles
A RHP alone won't do it in winter, and even in warmer weather, the heat from underneath is beneficial for larger tortoises like yours. What type of heat pad are you using?

Thanks Tom, I have a large Repti-Therm habitat heater heat pad. What wattage RHPnwould be best. I’ll send picks of the finished house later this morning. I basically copied yours.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6115.jpeg
    IMG_6115.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6301.jpeg
    IMG_6301.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

S2G

AL
When i had my buddies huge male. Id have to lure his big butt to his house or get some heavy duty rollers.

I built an insulated box, but I block off an area for a radiator heater like for your house with a waterproof heat pad. Ive seen a lot of people using the sweeter heaters (like 100-200w) for chickens & controlling it.

Miles&Marvin

Los Angeles

Some pics of the house I built. I will remove the heat lights and replace with RH. I removed the heat pad yesterday as the house was getting too hot. I will put back when it cools down.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1